Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Friday, March 12, 2010

Animal Cruelty: It's Just Not Human!



Animal Cruelty: It's Just Not Human!

Today, I heard a disturbing story of animal abuse. It occurred to me I have never seriously contemplated what a so-called human being that hurts animals is really like. As an animal lover, I would be hard-pressed to comprehend how such a person could limit his violence and uncontrollable rage to the harming of innocent animal life. For sure, such a despicable person is a threat to all of us who love and appreciate nature.

For nine wonderful years, I had a Labrador retriever named Josey, who accompanied me daily to the college campus where I was teaching in New Hampshire. She was far better than I ever was. She was never short with students. She listened to everyone without reservation. Josey was better than my students proved to be. She never missed a class. We lost her three years ago, but I still miss her today. I am very proud to say she never experienced a bad day.

 After school routinely, Josey romped through the woods with our three other dogs on fifty-six acres bordering a state forest. Our posted property was a haven for so many wildlife species that we thought of ourselves as protectors of nature. Bears, deer, moose, and birds of all kinds coexisted happily with us in a safe environment. Something inside tells me humans are supposed to feel protective of animals. It is part of who we are. One who would maliciously harm wildlife must pose a threat to us as well. I lump animal abusers into the same category as those who would hurt children. Beware of anyone who would hurt a pet. It is not natural.

4 comments:

  1. JJ, Thank you for making this post. The more who are aware of animal abusers the better chance animals have of a life they deserve. I wish animal abuse were as illegal and punishable as child abuse. Again I tell you, I want my own planet where such things don't exist. If I can't have that, I wish for humans to be divided into breeds, as are dogs and cats, so I am not classified with humans who cause animals harm. The breed of humans who abuse animals should all be neutered too. A simple Lorena Bobbitt procedure would do nicely I think. DKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. David: Thank you! I admire your passion about the friends with which we share a planet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely in agreement, JJ!

    Thank you for sharing your story about Josey.

    Angeline of
    www.angelinemarie.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-M: Yes, I still miss her very much.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.