Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sadness from a Non-poetic Father









Sadness from a Non-poetic Father









I was simply overbearing, unfeeling
incredibly un-healing

     But that’s not true

In schools, there were rules
 not my guidelines set by fools

      But that’s not true

Good parents must start, to play a part
the only path to a child’s heart

     But that’s not true

 What others do, is good for you
about being young I had little clue

     But that’s not true

It’s wonderful, and masterful
when mentors brainwash, it’s colorful

      But that’s not true

Teachers use their might; show our kids what is right
leaving fathers a lonely, losing fight

     But that’s not true

No worries now, they taught us how
as children grow we’ll learn to bow

     But that’s not true

The mistakes were mine; I failed to shine
in my old age I’ll surely pine

     But that’s not true

I agonize, while she gets wise
a father ashamed to meet her eyes

     But that’s not true

Perhaps, one’s life is measured by good intentions
Perhaps, children choose their motivations
Perhaps, advice from strangers is not best
Perhaps, a parent’s gifts can top the rest

Perhaps, scapegoat is the essence of a father
Perhaps, some dads will never even bother
Perhaps, to her my life is but a lie
Or maybe I have love that just won’t die

      There is truth in that
                                                           © 2010 by J J Botta. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. The poem and the tiger break my heart.

    I miss my father every single day. Wonder how he and I would be now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-M: He would be very proud.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.