Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hemingway’s Garden Continues to Yield







Hemingway’s Garden Continues to Yield







From The Garden of Eden       

     A jetty ran out into the blue and pleasant sea and they fished from the jetty and swam on the beach and each day helped the fishermen haul in the longest net that brought the fish up onto the long sloping beach. They drank aperitifs in the cafe on the corner facing the sea and watched the sails of the mackerel fishing boats out in the Gulf of Lions. It was late in the spring and the mackerel were running and fishing people of the port were very busy.
                                                                    Ernest Hemingway


Papa could paint scenes in the minds of those willing to open their hearts to his style. He was not necessarily the best role model for your kids. He had no regard for punctuation. He might define the male Chauvinist. Yet, he helped me express my thoughts in written form, since I was not blessed with the talents of a visual artist. And grace under pressure has enabled me to overcome obstacles in my life that would otherwise have crushed my spirit.


9 comments:

  1. If you go on like this I will have to read some EH!? Would he irritate me? This: "He had no regard for punctuation" I might find more annoying than: "He might define the male Chauvinist." ;-)

    Nevertheless I will put him on the list. What to you recommend for a first read?

    ~Juniper~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juniper: No question about it. Even his publisher often argued with him over punctuation. It is awful. However, he is to literature what Picasso and Dali are to art. I would read "In Our Time." It is his first major publication, which is nothing more than a group of short tales from his childhood. Nevertheless, it gives the reader insight into what would later be Hemingway the author. With "The Sun Also Rises" in 1925, he became a super star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, the short tales sound perfect, I will look them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I am with Juniper about the punctuation!!!

    I think Hemingway is an author who I would prefer listening to his stories over reading them. Thank you on the short stories tip. I will search the library for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blogging with punctuation people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My local library only had an audio book of 'In Our Time' but I can't concentrate well enough for those, it has to be a real book; also easier to read in x-ray waiting rooms ;-)

    I've ordered them both from Amazon, I figure they'll be a suitably intelligent addition to my home library. I'll let you know how I get on with the punctuation! Just as soon as I've finished Viktor Frankl 'Man's Search for Meaning'...

    ~Juniper~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey JJ!

    I would like to invite you to join the Over 40 Bloggers Club!! Take a look and join in the fun!

    Hope you have a great week!
    Java

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the music on this video. Edith Piaf is a favorite of mine. I appreciate affection for Hemmingway. He is the written comparison of Picaso.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.