Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cool Literary Quotes





Cool Literary Quotes






Who, being loved, is poor?
~Oscar Wilde

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.
~Ernest Hemingway

The first half of life consists of the capacity to enjoy without the chance; the last half consists of the chance without the capacity.
~Mark Twain

Count them by sensation, and not by calendars, and each moment is a day.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
~Pablo Picasso

A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault.
~John Henry Newman

If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.
~Toni Morrison

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
~Anton Chekhov

Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.
~Harper Lee

12 comments:

  1. I really like the Mark Twain one. Ole' Marky Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy: Mark Twain is just one of my all time favorites. I identify with his sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen: I love the Groucho comment. Twain should have said it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me in my day-long moment, the first and the last were written for me & Mr H.

    Thanks JJ x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juniper: May you enjoy great wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for finding my blog. I read most of yours on this page. You snagged me right away with the quotes. I am a quotes junkie. If quotes had crack in them I would be an addict. Same goes for youtube. That is a scary thought, because it might have some sort of addictive spell cast on it. You just don't know. I like the Daughtry song playing on your page and I liked the video you linked to (It's Not Over) in your blog. I knew the song, but hadn't seen the video. I have always wanted to go to Key West. *sigh* That blog on the clam strips didn't end how I expected. I appreciate a story that takes the unexpected turn. Anyway, now I am following you, too. Look forward to some more disconnected writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quotes! Like others I especially like the Mark Twain quote. Here's one from life in England:

    "To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day"
    - Somerset Maugham

    and don't I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin: Thank you. I think I'm a quotes junkie too. I look forward to your comments, and you will see me on your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Akseli: I agree with you on the food, but did you ever taste American ale? Consider yourself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Picasso quote, and add another to the list:

    "There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein."
    -Walter Smith-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice list, JJ!
    My favorite is the Wilde. I am blessed by being extremely rich!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.