Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Little Things in Life





The Little Things in Life




Has anyone noticed how some insignificant things just stick with you throughout life? Human beings do not have delete buttons, so we have difficulty erasing those things that do not appear to add to our lives. I believe that when we grow older our memories do not fail. It simply takes longer to process the total conglomeration of stuff stuck in our minds.

Unlike the cartoons of today, the TV shows of yesteryear entertained and subtly educated children about superficial, nice things. We were not compelled to make political decisions at age seven. Our parents supplied our moral base. During the first seven years or so of life, we were somewhat sheltered from the rest of the world. Imagine that!

In any event, I have had this song, Butterflies, implanted in my brain from childhood. It will not delete. I watched a cartoon before school every morning, and a little guy ran around with a net attempting to snag a few of nature’s more beautiful creatures for his collection. He sang these lyrics:

Butterflies, Butterflies

I’m a collector of Butterflies

I swing my net and catch them

As they flutter by.

Horse flies, shoo flies, house flies,

And time flies

But I’m at my best 

When I’m in a nest of Butterflies.


Catchy (excuse the pun)? Well perhaps. But I have tried to forget the tune my entire life. The harder I try, the more it plays a constant refrain. I am an animal lover. I am a nature lover. I appreciate beauty. And I wouldn’t harm an insect. Maybe, the little song is not as insignificant as I think. I will push the mental save button and see what happens.

Post Script

If anyone out there in blog land remembers this song, please let me know. I would hate for this to be my unique legacy to the world.

22 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for following my blog. I have returned the favour because I can see your blog will be a very interesting read!

    I don't recall ever hearing your Butterfly song but I also have a song that I will always remember from childhood.

    I dont remember the lyrics exactly but I remember it because it was my nan who used to sing it to me.
    She was from Holland so her accent when singing always made me feel warm inside and I loved it when she would sing that one song.

    It was called 'The little white bull'

    ReplyDelete
  2. VGS: Thank you! I really do love your blog. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember any of the programs I watched a kid having songs. Theme tunes and phrases do stick though; like 'Time for bed, Zebedee' - I still use that one to this day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juniper: Themes and phrases are another stickler. Sometimes, I blurt out a phrase and people will immediately develop that question mark expression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, this happens to me as well, not with your Butterflies song, but with others that come and go. At least they come and...GO! My son recently was trying to remember a song my mother sang long ago. I finally figured out which one was playing in HIS head and now it's playing MY head. Uh huh...it happens.
    Thanks for your vist!
    Coralie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coralie: Thank you! I checked out your blog and I will be following it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, I do not recall your butterfly song. However, that doesn't seem to be such a terrible song to have stuck in your mental tape loop. It is very positive. I do find it funny what the mind retains and what it sets free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin: Yes. Today, after this posting, I was sitting with my dog in the back of my home when a butterfly flew by. Can you guess?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Moon
    shines
    on a cat

    Meow

    As a native Swede, I am particularly proud of my love poetry suite Sonnets for Katie.

    My Poems

    My wallpaper art Babes!

    Sexuality introduces Death to Being; and indeed Life simultaneously. This is the profound Myth of the Eden. The work of the Serpent. Bringing us out of "blessed" Standstill. So, in contrast to the mindless pietism of vulgar Christianity, my personal "Christo-Satanism" should be given serious thought by the Enlightened Few, the Pneumatics, the 1% Outlaws. The Light Bringer must be rehabilitated, beacause if not, the All of it simply doesn't make sense: true Catholicism is necessarily Meta Catholicism.

    My philosophy

    Poétudes

    Fremde Gedichte

    And: reciprocity: for mutual benefit, you will do me a favor promoting your own blog on mine!

    Yours,

    - Peter Ingestad, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I could say I have heard of that song, I even googled the lyrics and couldn't find it...But I definitely know what u mean...For me its certain places that will make me remember a song.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peter: Jag skulle vilja följa din blogg, men jag kan inte förstå det svenska språket. Du kan ladda ner Google Translate till din webbplats gratis. Då internationella bloggare kan delta i. Tack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. KBF: I never even thought to Google the lyrics. Thanks a million for following!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hallo there, thanks for your visit. Now, the google translator is awful, there is a far better alternative: follow my blog:

    The Moon
    shines
    on a cat

    Meow

    As a native Swede, I am particularly proud of my love poetry suite Sonnets for Katie.

    My Poems

    You see, I write parallell in several languages, much stuff on Single Swingle is translations from originals in Swedish, and there will be much much more in the future.

    Yours,

    Peter Ingestad, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jema♥Rose: Thank you. I love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  16. KBF: I am starting to learn that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, boy. It's an earworm, eh, JJ?!!!
    I have songs that get stuck in my head, but thankfully they change out.

    Listen to it this way: even if you are the only one that remembers the song, at least it is a positive happy little jingle. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A-M: Yes, but I also have the Wicked Witch's Army song in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cartoon is called "Molly Moo-Cow and the Butterflies."

    Here's a link to the video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPQN940L4-s

    The song starts at 4:17

    ReplyDelete
  20. Charles: I can't thank you enough. It brought back some fond memories. I got some of the lyrics wrong, but I remembered the cartoon vividly. I think those might have been better times. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.