Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Friday, October 8, 2010

A Moment Alone






A Moment Alone





When I moved to Florida from New Hampshire eight years ago, I admit to looking a bit like I escaped from the mountains, mostly because I escaped from the mountains. Almost far enough north to qualify as a Canuck, I sported a full beard, and hair I cut only when my family got on my case. Donning only jeans and a tee shirt, I cut wood regularly, as long as the temperature did not dip below minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I drove 1500 miles south to my new home, and the Welcome to Florida sign foretold an unexpected atmospheric change that would include enough humidity to form ice cover on a New Hampshire lake – if it were a hundred degrees cooler. Hard to believe I cleaned up my Grizzly Adams act, and I am now a beach-going weather wimp.

As I was shaving this morning, I could not help but think back to age five or six. I vividly remember my daily routine. Before breakfast, I used to watch my father shave for work. I stood there in awe of the man. I’m not sure he ever knew my admiration for him, but even to this day I am certain that under his clothing he wore a costume with a red cape and a blue shirt bearing a large crimson S. He was a strong guy with all the right answers.

 I miss you, Pop.

9 comments:

  1. aww what a touching story about your papa..guess what I nomitated you for a " One lovely Blog Award"
    check it out!
    http://doradadama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Dama: Thank you very much! I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely how that story came around. I actually let out a sigh at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin: That's just about what I did too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I wouldn't mind betting you ain't that different to him, JJ...

    I had great pictures in my head of you all beardie in the mountains, and then wimping out on the beach!

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juniper: Yes, friends that visit me in St. Augustine find it hard to believe I carry a sweatshirt in the trunk of my Jeep for those cool days. The old blood must have thinned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JJ: There is no shame in being a weather wimp! Having visited NH, it is very beautiful, but, it is c-c-cold there! As a self proclaimed entire-life addict of the beach, WELCOME TO FLORIDA!!!! Why did it take you so long?

    You, Grizzly Adams? Huh. Andy (my guy) made to SoFL about four years ago. He is now a very happy beach-bum-sun-worshiping-weather-wimp. That does have little to do with my influence, happy to write! He often writes Facebook posts to his cold weather tough pals that ignite series of "go to hells," and other stuff I won't type here. We both laugh and say there is plenty of empty homes that need love here.

    Now, as for us moving farther north, it still gets cold in St. Augustine. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A-M: It does get cold here, but only from a Southern perspective. I was teaching college in NH, so moving meant some complications. And yes, I have had my share of "go to hells" et. al. from my northern friends since we moved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JJ this was a lovely memory you shared here. It's amazing the way the human mind works.... how little everyday things like shaving, having your hair brushed or even familiar smells or sounds can spark an old memory. In your case, one about your Super Hero Dad. Such a beautiful & special memory.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.