Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Travelin' Man






Travelin' Man





Remember Eric Hilliard Nelson? Better known as Ricky Nelson, he was an American singer-songwriter and actor who had fifty-three songs hit the charts between 1957 and 1973. Ricky had a huge teen following, nineteen top-ten hits, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.

Following his death in an airplane crash on December 31, 1985, the media reported a great deal of negativity surrounding this early rock star, but I choose not to write about it. Instead, perhaps someone should appreciate his positive contributions.

 
Nelson began his entertainment career in 1949 playing himself in the radio and later television sitcom series, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. In 1957, he recorded his first single, which debuted on the TV show.

 
At one time, Nelson was the recipient of a Golden Globe nomination as the Most Promising Male Newcomer. He went on to star in the western film, Rio Bravo and a few other movies, and made appearances as a guest star on various television programs through the 1960s and 1970s.

 
You made many people happy, Ricky. RIP.

13 comments:

  1. I had such a crush on him!. I loved his parents' show... As far as negative facts on him, my mind has gone to la-la land...All I remember was his wife and kids... What a gorgeous family ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the name but he sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KBF: I gotta love ya!

    KB: Yes, he was quite a hit, especially with the girls. They loved him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JJ!

    Ricky Nelson was the best! Thanks for remembering him. You can always visit my Channeling Ricky blog where Ricky appears and performs 24-7!

    www.channelingricky.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You made many people happy..."

    That is what counts I think.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a music lover. I like it when you post about artists, and I adore Ricky's music. Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sky Princess: Will do! Thank you.

    Fickle Cattle: Absolutely. I make it a point to look at the good in people. Thanks for your comments.

    Miriam: That is a great way to remember him. He was an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JJ: A few years after his death, twin brother Nelsons with blond hair decided to enter the pop rock scene. They had one hit, "Love and Affection." For more about them, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_(band)

    They inherited their dad's good looks and some talent, too. =)

    As far as people saying RN was not talented, he truly was. NOW is when we don't have as much talent making it to the airwaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reminding me of fond memories. Growing up, my family had one of those stereo set-ups with a bunch of different parts all stacked inside a cabinet. One of the few really great things we owned. The best part was watching the red and green lights on the equalizer flash along with the music. My Mom did have great taste in music. Ricky Nelson singing 'Garden Party' was one of my favorites. 'You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. A-M: You got that right! Some of the stuff hitting the airwaves today is awful.

    'Yellow Rose' Jasmine: I know the equalizer well. Garden Party was one of his later hits, and I still hear it occasionally on radio today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I had a crush on him, too! I used to kiss the TV when he sang at the end of the show! Lord, don't tell anyone I said that!

    How are you coming up with these folks? Great memories and great people to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops--not sure why my comment turned up like that without the dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Galen Pearl: I'm a Humanities guy. It all seems to go together. History, philosophy, music, art, literature, and writing and you have the formula for a thousand interests. All my life I wanted to learn about everything there is and then experience it. I do the best I can. In any event, I have many memories, and I intend to have many more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.