Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Live in Harmony







Live in Harmony



This morning, I was enjoying a cup of coffee while watching a couple of tiny geckos hunt miniscule bugs in our backyard. I could not help but notice that a couple of mockingbirds were protecting a nest of eggs in a nearby tree. They often feed on the tiny lizards, but do so cautiously. Our neighbors have an outside cat that frequently hunts our yard.

 
I started thinking about how easily that cat could climb the tree and feast on the mockingbird eggs. It was not long before I realized the cat has not moved in for the kill because I have two large dogs prowling our yard. The dogs usually do not chase the cat because there are some large snakes in our brush, and they have had a few confrontations.

 
As I pondered the safety of my dogs, I looked up to the sky and saw four raptors that appeared to be hawks with large talons. They are known in the area to regularly prey on snakes. I felt a little better because with those predators circling above all day long, the snakes never go out of their way to look for trouble.

 
I love how Nature works.

14 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be nice if people harmonized their living as well! Back from the cabin--read your book in a single sitting! I couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GP: Exactly! They just don't harmonize. I am so glad you enjoyed the read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. A circle of life post. Well, there is something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As they say ' survival of the fetus'... how about rats going after the eggs? We grow some big ones where I live and I think they got after some hummingbird eggs...:-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. O My GOD snakes....raptors.....i would be to scared to set foot in your yard ;-)) Wow you have your own mini zoo ;-)) I loved your post though there is a reason for everything and for every animal and human to being here. dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an elegant description. You're lucky to have hummingbirds in your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my yard is a virtual zoo. Some of the creatures I mentioned are large, but there are literaly thousands of creatures around us every day that we never even see. The only beings that seem to conflict mindlessly are the human ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are exactly right, and I took great pleasure in your morning moment, thank you. I too wrote a poem more about my afternoon hawk watching but the reflection of how things work lingers doesn't it? I understand your doggie issue too, my grandpa's dog in the end (actually the day after my grandfather passed away) was bitten twice (on the head) by a rattle snake, which proved too much, he had been bitten before and survived...our life and death does move in mysterious ways....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen: My dog was bitten by a non-venomous snake, but she learned her lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, Nature is like survival of the SMARTEST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to JJ's Jungle! I too love to sit and watch nature, it's one of my favorite pastimes.It's so relaxing & JJ your back yard sounds like a true Utopia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. JJ:
    I love your backyard already! I miss having one, sometimes. We do have a back patio with a tree in it that is currently housing a family of mockingbirds - just like last year!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.