Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

To Everyone Out There - "Cheers"!



To Everyone Out There - "Cheers"!


Located at 84 Beacon Street, Boston, Massachusetts is a quaint little establishment I have visited several times when I lived in New Hampshire. My wife and I used to take day trips down from the mountains just for the ambiance. What a fun day!

Of course, I am referring to the Bull and Finch Pub, the original Boston pub that inspired the setting of the hit TV show Cheers. Memorabilia from the show, photos of the stars, music of the era, and the feeling that you were a part of the history of media entertainment, made for a most enjoyable outing.

When a patron entered the pub, it was very hard not to shout out, "Norm"! Everyone seemed to take a turn sitting on Norm's stool, and the guy beside you is always Cliff Claven.

Fellow writer and blogger, W.Z. Snyder, #167 Dad, recently responded to one of my posts and mentioned Cliff Claven. I could not resist at least a small remembrance of a great place, in a terrific city, that was responsible for a very memorable and entertaining television series.

I don't know if the Pub is listed as a tourist attraction on Beacon Hill, but it is definitely a must-visit experience. You will not feel out of place. Everybody knows your name.

22 comments:

  1. Or better yet, if you come to Boston, look me up. I will take you to some real joints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely look you up, and if you can find a real joint I don't know, I'll buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, have been to the Bull and Finch Pub! Truly did feel as if I had stepped onto the set of 'Cheers'. Didn't spend much time in Boston, but a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever get back there I plan on stopping by! We almost made it once. We drove to Boston from Gloucester, but the rush hour traffic was so horrible that we kept on driving! Someday though it's in the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch that show a lot, sounds like a fun place to go :). Cheers to you too! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking about that show the other day. I didn't know it was based off a real place--how cool ;)

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like an interesting place to visit. I will take it into consideration when I will visit Boston again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to go somewhere where I am greeted by name. I go to a small bank branch mostly because when I walk in, several people will look up and say hi. They know my kids. Same for the Postal Annex and the small grocery store I go to. And at church, I feel so blessed when the person serving communion says my name. One of my favorite Bible verses is Isaiah 43:1. "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine."

    What a great show--I still enjoy the reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oro Valley, where I live, is a community north of Tucson. I love going into restaurants and having the waiters not only know me by name, but bring my favorite beverage without being asked. I always remember their names as well, and get great service. When I don't open the menu, one will say, "I know what you want!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see this is a fun crowd. Thank you all for your comments. We should have a bloggers' party some day. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooohh Cute. Not only did everyone know your name, everyone loved that show. There's a Honkey Tonk like that in Helena. My sons were in town and we went in and people were calling me by name. Oh oh, busted!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love watching that show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am all for a blogger's party!! Where shall we have it??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judie: Definitely overseas. We don't want to slight our international blogging friends. Germany sounds like a good place. I heard they serve beer there. I would say Ireland, but I don't think they have any pubs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh I'm all over the party idea - course the reality is I'm not going any where just yet without my many little travel partners - but I'm earning those stripes and I'll catch ya'll soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice tribute, JJ. I'm a little jealous that you visited the Bull and Finch. I grew up watching Cheers, and I always really loved Norm. I'm now humming the Cheers theme song.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If we go overseas, could we please, for God's sake, go someplace WARM???? The temp fell to 15 here last night!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course. Now that I live in Florida, I'm a weather wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  19. JJ:
    From another weather wimp, be proud!

    Cheers was a fun show, and a fun bar to visit. I was allowed into it back in 1986 to check out the bar. Needless to say, we didn't stay for drinks - I was 12. CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Dude music.
    And you are much tougher than Cliffy.
    I will some day belly up to the Cheers bar too.
    wZ

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.