Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Thing or Two

ape A Thing or Two

At the moment, I am thinking most of us would be going bananas with the sudden influx of work I have been taking on in just the last two weeks.

I have been fortunate enough to have an opportunity for a new book deal, but it is requiring a ton of my existence. I was already working on two books that I am trying to get published, sending out query letters, editing manuscripts for potential authors, writing freelance magazine articles, teaching full time, serving as an adjunct professor for two additional universities, and exploring the market for my first e-book coming out soon.

Now, I have been approached by two additional colleges for potential adjunct teaching positions, and a third college that wants me to write a second edition of a Criminology book that was published about ten years ago. That would require some heavy research for me to bring myself up to date, but the return could be very nice.

Last night, I attended a dinner honoring one of my students, and I was also thrilled to have received an award for influencing her life as a positive role model. I was very proud of her and very happy to attend, but I got home late and awoke early. I have been operating on about four hours sleep each night for about a month.

Along the way, I was offered a teaching contract in South Korea, which I declined because I have a thing or two to wrap up. One such loose end is my work in a special program run by Cambridge University in the UK for High School students wanting to earn special diplomas and college credit. I jumped in with both feet, and I have not yet landed.

I don’t complain, or run out of energy, and I handle all the rest of the stuff life throws at everyone. However, I do have a dog and a wife, and I could use an extra hour of sleep. I am cutting into exercise time, and that cannot be good.

If my friends have noticed a little lull in my daily blogging submissions, I trust you will forgive me. Once I get a better grip on some of my priorities, I shall joyfully blog regularly.

I plan to continue blogging as much as possible, I just thought a little personal message from the heart might be good for my soul.

23 comments:

  1. Wow JJ & I thought I was busy ... You make my busy seem like a lazy Sunday! I guess there is always a price to pay when you're so wanted. You are so very good at what you do.
    You have so many wonderful things happening in your life .. and it is lovely to learn that you are being shown appreciation from those whom have been blessed to have had you as their teacher. I reckon you'd be an awesome teacher, very influential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath: Nah. Thanks, but not so awesome. I just care about my kids first, and what they learn from me is secondary. I am busy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all get a little crazy.... perhaps as we get older. Maybe we want to get it ALL in..... just in case. You've got some "stuff our dreams are made of" surrounding you. Everything sounds so fulfilling. How can you pass anything up? I congratulate you. You don't get to that point without long hours, sweat and a hot computer seat. You GO, guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get some sleep. We'll still be here in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your life is so full, JJ. I'll just live vicariously through the amazing opportunities you're experiencing. Congratulations, and enjoy the quiet moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A busy live is a full and enjoyable life. I am glad for you JJ.
    Greetings from a portugese admirer that is now in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness JJ i am glad to hear that you are ok though i did wonder as we haven't seen you on here for a little while. Your life is very full but also satisfying and rewarding which goes along way i feel to being fullfilled. But remember to play as well. Take lots of care, dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck in making your choice... Squeeze in some sleep at least on the weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You ARE busy!!! My goodness. I think al of that sounds so awesome though. If I ever started teaching, I would like to teach college, I'd love to be published someday, I love editing and writing. I've felt this busy before so I know what it's like to feel like your feet aren't quite on the ground, but I hope you will be able to look back after everything settles down and see how much you accomplished in tha time. It's amazing what we can do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I feel a bit guilty for how often I don't get to posting something, anything. Makes me really glad I don't waste so much time on family drama anymore though...
    Good to see there is so much demand for your time and input. Clearly this world could use some more like you. And I'm happy to know that you won't be eaten alive by all the demands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JJ, you've got to take care of youself or you won't be able to do anything else.
    Your life IS so busy right now!
    It all sounds like fun stuff and I'm excited about your book deal!
    Good luck to you, with everything.
    Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! There is a full life and then there is chaos. That sounds a lot like chaos. So happy that you have so many positive things, but be well my friend! Take care of you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful people: I am taking in all your comments. Thank you for the well wishes. I am having a full life. I am pretty busy. It will not take that long for me to get things under control.

    Manzi: I never pass on the good things.

    KB: That's all I need - some sleep.

    Roxy: I really do savor all the moments of my existence.

    FanaticoUm: Welcome, once again, to the USA. Enjoy your stay!

    Dee: Yes, I promise I will play. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

    KBF: I'll try this weekend.

    AubrieAnne: I am following your site. I think you will accomplish all those things.

    'Yellow Rose' Jasmine: You should have no guilt at all. Just make it fun, when you can. I remember your story from past posts, so I'm glad you don't waste time on frivolous family drama. You can't win that war.

    Miriam: Thank you for helping me stay healthy with those great recipes!

    Robin: Thank you. It is very organized chaos. It won't take long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It always helps you gain some perspective when you hear from someone who is REALLY busy. Good grief! My nephew and his wife have three rambunctious kids. His wife was telling me about being asked to do some additional volunteer work at their church. When she asked the caller why she didn't call on someone who only had one child, the caller said, "Oh, they think they're too busy." It's all relative.

    At any rate, it sounds like all these things are things you enjoy, at least for the most part. Thanks for telling us what is going on with you. We will all wait (impatiently) for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Galen: I do enjoy it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tell me about! School's been hectic these last few weeks with me as well. I can assure you that I've felt your blogging has been a lot more consistent than mine of late!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Akseli: It sure is hectic. What are your summer travel plans?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's winter that's approaching for us. My Summer plans aren't till Christmas and remain as yet unplanned. In terms of travel, I have a vague itch to go to New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Akseli: I forgot. You are far away. NZ is even farther away, so I can't meet up with you next winter/summer, but some day in Europe...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear JJ! How on earth do you still find the time to post comments on our blogs?? You are a truly special friend to have and I certainly hope that you're offered a position in my city one day!

    Well done - your achievements are fantastic and it is no surprise to me that you are receiving all the offers and that your students are giving you the credit for the input you have in their lives.

    All the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. emilene: Thank you. There is only one way to teach. You must love your students. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Clearly, I must stop complaining about my schedule! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. PAMO: I admit I am busy, but that is better than not being busy, especially when you love your work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.