Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Jackson Pollack


The She-Wolf

Call me strange, but I like this stuff. I love art in general, but sometimes those pieces I fancy the most are, in the opinions of many, weird.

Among the pieces I enjoy is The She-Wolf. I was fortunate enough to see the work in MoMA, The Museum of Modern Art, in New York City. It struck me because I saw the artist’s vision. With Jackson Pollack, that is probably unusual. In any event, so what. I’m weird, but I’m a nice guy.

For those unaware, Jackson Pollack was an abstract expressionist of considerable fame in the 20th century. Like author J.D. Salinger of Catcher in the Rye fame, Pollack was somewhat of a recluse. Creator of the controversial drip style, to this day, he remains a pop culture icon.

9 comments:

  1. Pollock is definitely an unique artist! I have never seen his work in person - that would be a treat. Have seen a film about his life and he was not an easy person to live with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen: I agree. There has been a great deal written on his love life. However, this painting just says something to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, don't knock your weirdness. Isn't weird normal?? :)
    Abstract has never been my cup of tea but I was kinda in that period way back. JJ... you said you wanted a poster of that Flamenco book "A way of Life." If I make an enlargement print of the cover and send it to you, can you make a poster from that or what would you suggest? I'm not very techie, you know. I noticed I had written "Bozeman" on the cover but I have a clean copy of the book in Helena that I would use. I think the book is out of print but I have 2 copies. It's my bible and my back-up bible. :)
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVERYONE is wierd :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
    P.S. I like it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Miriam--everyone is weird! Isn't it nice that as we get older we just embrace it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently Blogger was down for a while and all the comments have been removed. In any event, I did get to read them through my RSS feed and I thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I could enjoy trying this form of artwork...but would it be any good?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I know it LOOKS chaotic, but it isn't! Even in wild abstract art, there is composition and order.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen: Maybe not, but it would be fun.

    Judie: No question about it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.