Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Museums Are Boring–Are You Sure?


Despite their bad “boring” rap, museums remain quite popular and prove to be exciting, if you know where to look. They might not provide as many avenues to waste money as a mall might present to us, but they can be fabulous places to take kids, escape the rain, get a little exercise, or just meander around.
The secret is to find a museum that features your passion. I have visited zillions of art museums, but also found fly fishing, model railroad, Native American, martial arts, wilderness, rock and roll, baseball, prehistoric, and a variety of other museums, where I can get lost for hours in my mind – and not spend a dime!
Since I am such a huge Hemingway fan, I rarely pass up an opportunity to visit his historic home in Key West, and my trips there have led me to other adventures. I have actually traced about thirty Hemingway hangouts not on the tourist maps! Many other famous authors have been honored with museums in their names as well.
Try planning a vacation sometime using museums as your theme. My wife and I have done that several times in the US and Europe, and the trips were anything but boring. Visit the Shelburne Museum in Vermont for a real treat. It houses the largest collection of Americana in the States, and it is all outdoors. You will discover paintings, folk art, quilts and textiles, automobiles, and New England history you will not believe. They even moved an actual penthouse apartment from New York City to their grounds as an exhibit, along with the Steamboat Ticonderoga (pictured above).
Museums are tops, so don’t miss out!

16 comments:

  1. My sons passion are railways so we are regulars at the railway museum, I don't find going to bad either as I think steam trains are beautiful.

    Our local museum was a great place to take my son when he was very young and learning to walk, as he's been there since he was small he views it as his place and I find it so cute when he acts as tour guide to other children and adults he meets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was his age, I loved them as well. I had a Lionel set that I played with every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love all museums! There is an entire town in Tennessee (Ruby) that is a museum. Their library has over 7,000 first edition books from the 1800's. I could visit the Smithsonian every year and still not see it all. But I would have to say my favorite museums are house museums. Plantations to be specific. It must be my old soul. ~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ames: I'm not sure about the old soul. I think they keep us young. The more we contemplate the past, the better prepared we are for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right. Museums can be really cool. My husband is very interested in Mark Twain. We have visited many spots that relate to that. Also many unusual spots like places with miniatures or old west style museums. These places are rarely crowded and make for some interesting experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure do know your museums. I have not visited many in my whole life time. Your post makes me wish I had.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Yellow Rose' Jasmine: I am a Mark Twain fan as well. Now, you have me thnking about a Twain museum this summer.

    Manzi: What are you waiting for? I visited a few in Montana too. I remember on the Sioux Nation that was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our museum here in the town i live has been closed for 2 years for a re build can't wait for it to re open they do great fun craft days also and its attached to the castle so its a lovely place, dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore museums. Wish there were more here in Miami, Florida!

    Museums are NOT boring - and there is a museum for every one and for every taste.

    Little Apple (Manzanita): I'm with JJ - why are you waiting? Some of the museum websites are incredible, too, I'm learning! Check out the website for the Lourve: http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home.jsp?bmLocale=en

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE MUSEUMS!!! I take my kids to local museums again and again, even if the exhibits haven't changed. You can't learn everything in just one visit. The Shelburne sounds awesome, JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a museum GEEK - I love them!! This summer I plan on hitting up my Natural History Museum, LACMA, and the Skirball, all of which have amazing exhibits.

    And did I mention the Natural History Museum has dinosaurs????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I just knew you guys would be museum lovers. Birds of a feather....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Museums are our lives, our story, our heritage. And we have to be able to transmit that to our children. What would be our lives without museums? They really show where we came from, what our ancestors did for us and, of course, where we are going!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FanaticoUm: I absolutely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the museums in Balboa Park in San Diego. There is truly something for everyone. It is well worth the trip to San Diego just to visit all the wonderful museums!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh I too love museums! Always have and always will!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.