Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Royal Wakeup Call

union jack

The Royal Wedding we recently witnessed was quite an event. Coverage was all over the American media. One could not help but notice the hoopla on every TV or radio station. Even commercials got in on the act.

I heard some negative comments from time to time about too much coverage, but there will always be people who cannot exist in a positive world. I wish the happy couple all the joy life has to offer, and I rejoice with them, and the British people.

Americans did miss something, however. It used to belong to all of us. Our parents, grandparents, and great grandparents thrived on it. I don’t see much of it today, and it is a pity. From teaching young people, I fear they could not recognize it, because they have neither seen nor heard of it. I did notice the Brits had plenty of it. It is commonly known as pride.

As part of the Royal Wedding broadcast, I noticed millions of people peacefully assembling to wallow in their national unity. I did not see trouble, protest, violence, police dogs, fires, looting (another word for stealing under the guise of a cause), mayhem, or discontent. I did not see citizens who rumble with the best in their political forums taking their personal ideologies to the streets to the embarrassment of a nation. I saw scenes that gave me a sense of deep respect for a country that influenced the growth of the USA so greatly. Hats off to them!

Recently, I was mortified to hear of an American protest over barber poles. One group started a movement to ban them, since red, white, and blue could be offensive to some. Another movement sought to ban phrases, such as "dumb as an ox," since it is demeaning to animals. I did not see the same group protesting the burning of the American flag. It is hard for a person looking at his father’s medals earned under General Patton during WWII to witness such irresponsible folly.

Perhaps, Americans will regain their national dignity. I hope so. I have not lost mine, but I am saddened by the attitudes I have witnessed among many members of the next generation. Refusing to pledge allegiance to the flag, for example, is disturbing to me.

My sincerest wish is that today’s young citizens never have to experience the horrors of war on their own soil. That is one way to bond as a society no nation should ever have to endure. If they did, they would search frantically for allies, and there would be a few to come to their aid. The British would, I am certain. It is a matter of pride.

14 comments:

  1. I am beaming with happiness for the couple as well, I believe they have chosen each other well.
    I don't know about everyone else, but my heart still swells with pride and gratitude every time I sing (or hear), our national anthem, pledge allegiance to our flag, or even see soldiers about in uniform. It is that kind of respect I try to teach my children.
    As far as ungrateful and silly people who don't appreciate our nation, it is clear to me that they have never visited a society in the world that is impoverished as well as disease and horror stricken. If they had, they would surely count their lucky stars to be citizens of this nation. Why else would so many millions of people give up everything (sometimes even their lives), just to be here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family fled Cuba to get to the USA. I am grateful to this country for opening its arms and giving them (and me!) the opportunity to thrive. My family still has not visited Cuba since leaving in 1961, and some have passed since. Me, I have the habit of saying "when we arrived from Cuba (on a plane, btw, by way of Jamaica, with visas)..." but I was born in the USA.
    This country is the best in the world, no matter what the struggles. England put their best foot forward this weekend. It was exciting, romantic, wistful, and inspiring to see the wedding. I wish William and Kate the best.
    For the people who proclaim freedom of speech, stop and think how wonderful it is that you can protest safely! Only in the USA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, JJ. I completely agree with you. National unity and pride is so important, and something we should value and strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent article - wasn't it a wonderful event - especially how many people got involved with the celebrations. Many thanks for linking up at Weekend Creation Blog Hop. (Please consider visiting my Features page and becoming next weeks Feature Thursday. Shah. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I so agree with you JJ, although I did witness many people here (in my own backyard so to say) that watched and commented with such pride and took pains to watch the wedding in the wee hours of the morning. How did Americans turn things around like this, with some refusing to pledge allegiance to our flag, yet find it so important to ban a Barbie doll and remove her from the market because one of her comments was "Math is tough." Do you remember that silly objection? National unity for the good and pride of all ........would be a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually see lots of attempts at National Pride here in the good ole USA, but I also see so many who are so darned worried about being PC that we often end up just doing nothing at all for fear of offending somebody. I do believe in true American Exceptionalism, as definded by the USA having accomplished amazing things in a mere 200 or so years as opposed to that which has taken most places 2000 or more.
    A wedding of two happy souls is always a magical thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said.
    But can't teach an old dog new tricks is apparent with me. Every time I say the "Pledge" I always leave out "Under god." Not by intention but I said it every day of my life like that and then they added the "under God" in when, 1950 something? H. Reed was leading it and left out "under God" and was criticized. I don't know how old he is but it's easy to do if it's been ingrained in your brain from the time you are a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miriam: I agree.

    A-M: I agree.

    bradsucksbecausehesaredsoxfan: I agree. Thanks for stopping by.

    Shah: I will. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen: It is nice to see national pride.

    'Yellow Rose' Jasmine: I have never suffered from PC-ness. I was turned off years ago with the he/she controversy in writing. I'll post something on it in the future.

    Manzi: I understand completely. It makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful post JJ. Friday was a really magical day for us all not only Britain i feel. I had a wonderful day with friends and i have to say i am very proud to be British and i did feel very proud at how the whole country came together. The service was true beauty and English in its style, and sparkled with quality and grace and also true love that shone in their eyes . Roads where shut down for street parties and houses were lined with bunting there was a very peaceful an calm feeling on the streets that day. It was great to be able to share,feel and take part in a day of history and i will remember that day for years to come. dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dee: You should be very proud, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too loved how the British people were so respectful and proud.
    We Americans have a history you know and our lamenting (I share this with you) will not change it. Unfortunately, some people need a cause and any cause will do.
    The line in your post that really resonated with me was "there will always be people who can not exist in a positive world". I think that line summed it up perfectly. The voices of the unhappy folks often sounds the loudest.
    Another great post JJ! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An uplifting event we can all enjoy. National pride, young love, memories bitter and sweet, hope pure and joyful. I agree with PAMO about your observation that there are people who cannot exist in a positive world. I enjoyed the post and the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PAMO: Yes, they are the loudest, but always sad. I would prefer to speak softly and enjoy every moment of life.

    Galen: Somehow I knew you would agree. I was thinking about your reaction while I was writing it. The world is positive, if we visualize it that way.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.