Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Don’t Think About It - Just Live

p10150

Don’t Think About It - Just Live

Ernest Hemingway is one of my heroes, but perhaps not in the manner some might expect.

Certainly, some of his actions were crude and sexist. He tended to brag and boast. And he shot animals for trophies.

Hidden beneath his exterior, however, lived a man who knew the way things “ought to be,” even if he could not achieve his own dreams. He knew his limitations, and though he never admitted it publicly, his writings revealed his knowledge. He was a stealth philosopher, who understood grace under pressure.

In his famous memoir, A Moveable Feast, he penned a sketch about his friend, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and in doing so taught all of us a lesson in life, even if he failed to listen to his own wisdom. Of Fitzgerald (and many of us), he said:
“His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly’s wings. At one time he understood it no more than the butterfly did and he did not know when it was brushed or marred. Later he became conscious of his damaged wings and of their construction and he learned to think and could not fly anymore because the love of flight was gone and he could only remember when it had been effortless.”

.                              

22 comments:

  1. lovely message,
    bless your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ,I most definitely can relate to that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very wistful. Saudade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is and for ever will be a very worthy quote to read every now and then, and maybe once a day, if need be! Thanks so much for posting this! Your title runs the same journey that my Six Word Saturday went today...I'm late posting my usual Saturday stuff, since we took a few days to camp and be a bit like Ernest and F. Scott Fitzgerald! Hope you weekend was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the thoughtful comments.

    Suze: That was Ernie and Scott, not me. I have lived a fantastic life, with no regrets. Perhaps, I learned from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quote is definitely a useful visual cue to help maintain focus of ones purpose. It's wonderful JJ..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine: It is. So many of us look backwards and do not enjoy the present.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I know JJ & I myself am guilty of doing that sometimes. Living in the moment is the key!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kath: It sure is key. I have so many friends that keep looking back to what they should have and could have done in their lives, so much so that they are doing nothing now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this! I too, can also relate to it on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yvonne: Most people feel the same way, but there is a lesson to be learned - live!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel lucky every day for my lot nowadays. Years gone by I never thought I could find such happiness. I don't run around singing gleefully, but its just a silent contentment. So precious. Great post.

    I'm here to ask that you support the blogging mental health community and help me to build a successful weekly (refreshed each month) linky resource here http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/p/monday-madness-links-store.html

    The new rules etc are on todays post - but I'm always open to new ideas to make it more user friendly. To the left is a button which holds previous links as a store cupboard if you like. I'll be piling in the weekly links once a month, then starting a fresh once more.

    Id love it if you could (weekly if poss) perhaps link up any post which related to mental health.

    In fact - I'd really appreciate it.

    Shah .X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shah: I am very happy for you. That is wonderful. I want you to continue to be happier and happier in life. You deserve it.

    Of course I am willing to help. I will check it out today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Living right now. A stressful morning dealing with the red tape of health insurance. (Those of you who live in single payer/universal coverage places think grateful thoughts.) I'm going to go pick blueberries from the garden and dig in the dirt. Much saner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Galen: It is a necessary evil, but not worth stressing over. The best health care policy is to stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He saddens me mostly and I usually avoid re-reading him. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. unikorna: I would expect that. He was not an easy dude to like. However, his personal problems manifested themselves by some deep insight into his suspect character through his writing. I appreciate how he could evoke emotions with his pen that are usually hidden on the surface. I respect his writing talent. I would not want him to marry my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I had to read what he said about Scotty 3 times to let it all sink in. Thank you.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  19. Manzi: Absolutely. It is much deeper than it appears.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful things to say.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Miriam: It's more fun being happy in life.

    KB and Whitesnake: I enjoy blogging with happy people.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.