Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Snows of Kilimanjaro

kilamajaro_thumb

This Ernest Hemingway short story happens to be one of my favorites.

The tale centers around a main character named Harry, who receives a cut on his leg while on a hunting safari in East Africa with his wife, Helen. It seems our protagonist neglects to disinfect the minor wound, which leads to gangrene.

As Harry lies ill while awaiting a plane from Nairobi, Kenya to transport him to a hospital, he begins a series of flashbacks on his life. Anything more, and I will spoil the story.

I can say, however, that every time I read Snows, I come away with different feelings about my own life. It is well worth the read.

It was made into a movie production in 1952 starring Gregory Peck, Susan Hayward, and Ava Gardner.
.

9 comments:

  1. That whole weighing of life really does depend on so many things....Strangely enough I have a couple of movies even that leave me feeling that same way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I've not read this story yet. But I will! I've only recently (as in the past five years) fallen in love with Master Hemingway. This one sounds wonderful!

    And with a cast like that, I may just have to pick up the film version as well :D

    Cheers,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right JJ, this is, for me, one of the best books by Hemingway. A "must" for all readers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen: I agree.

    Sarah: It is worth it.

    Jen: Both are worth it.

    FanaticoUm: Yes, and it think it is available free online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JJ .. one I must read - I've seen it, but not picked it up .. perhaps I'll get it via the library ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks JJ... there is some more to add to my reading list. Will have to see if I can find the movie also. Have a wonderful day JJ ... cheers Kath ... Sorry I've not been by your blog of late, I've not been real well. I am having surgery on the 24th of this month and am hopeful that this will resolve things for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JJ, I never tire of this story. It is captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilary: It is quire easy to pick up at the library. You will enjoy it.

    Kath: You know I wish you all the best and send great vibes your way.

    Judie: I agree. I have read it many times. Have you seen the movie? It ends differently.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.