Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

It Seems Like a Mighty Long Time


lewis pic
Barbara Lewis

Michigan-born singer and songwriter, Barbara Lewis, has not only influenced rhythm and blues for several decades, but also happens to have a smooth style that makes her one of my all-time favorites.
Since her teenage years, Lewis has been writing her own songs. In fact, she began her career as a recording artist while in her teens, had her first single cut at age nineteen, and wrote every song on her first LP. One of those songs, Hello Stranger, I have included in the You Tube presentation below.

In the 1960s, Lewis enjoyed some commercial success, with hits like Baby I’m Yours, which I have also included below. However, as her success declined, she began to gradually leave the music industry, until her music was adopted by a string of popular artists over the next thirty years. Among those who enjoyed success with Lewis’ music were Debby Boone, Yvonne Elliman, Jody Miller, and others. In 1995, Baby I’m Yours was featured in the Clint Eastwood movie, Bridges of Madison County. I did not see the movie, but if I had known Barbara Lewis’ music was playing, my wife might have been able to drag me to the theater.     

I did get to see Lewis and enjoy her show on a cruise a few years ago, which served to cement her in my mind as one of the celebrities able to leave me with some fond musical memories.

Thank you, Ms. Lewis.
.


.



.

20 comments:

  1. Of course I had to play your videos, she does have an unbelievable, and dreamy voice. She also was quite the talk growing up (my father and I both born and raised in Michigan) it goes without saying her music filled my house all the time. My parents were big music fans, major big list and don't tell anyone, but I got my first 4 Dean Martin albums for Christmas when I was 12! I never shared them (or that flavor of my love for music) with any of my friends, because they just didn't have a flair for music! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen S: Great minds think alike. I still listen to Dino in the misty moonlight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Baby I'm Yours" is an old-time favorite of mine.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KB: She sure does. She has one of those voices that just stays with you.

    Sue: I do love the music of that era. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't really say I remember much about her but it is a great tribute to her. "The Bridges of Madison County" was more of a chic flick, as I recall. No wonder you didn't see it. I can't rememer the song but perhaps it was when they were dancing in the kitchen. I'd have to see it again and I wouldn't mind that, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do love when somebody brings back to mind some music I haven't thought about in a while.
    When I was a teenager I had a real thing for the 'oldies' and I used to play DJ for some family friends with an old boom box on an island get-away in the San Juans every summer. Some wonderful memories of seeing happy couples dancing and reminiscing in the light of a beach fire and forgetting that I was even there. While the other 'kids' were made to go to bed I often got to stay up much longer. I loved being able to smoothly transition from one song to the next without breaking the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful music and I love having the background information to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by mine and leaving a lovely positive comment. Its good to see you still in blogland. Take care, dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Manzi: Yes, you are right. It was a chic flick. I probably should have a more open mind - nah.

    YR Jasmine: A beach fire and Barbara Lewis, oh yes. Great memories.

    Galen: Thank you. It is beautiful.

    Dee: Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful voice and music that is always a pleasure to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fanático_Um: I agree. I know you appreciate good voices. She is just smooth and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this and also thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your funny comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always loved Barbara Lewis' mellow voice, JJ.

    You went on a cruise???? The last cruise I went on was in Alaska, and I was horribly sea sick the entire trip. The waters were so choppy that helicopters were carrying some guests to shore to recover! Being on a boat is like being on Amtrak. One is stuck for the duration.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. helen: Thank you!

    Judie: "Mellow" is the perfect word! As for cruises, we live in Florida, so we go on them all the time. Great deals, since we don't get sea sick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miriam: Yes. My wife and I were talking just this morning about how so many people today make mega-fortunes with no voices at all. She has a beautiful voice, and almost left the business.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a voice! Mind-blowing. She has so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phoenix: "Mind-blowing" is right. You can sit back in an easy chair, close your eyes, and "feel" her words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hiya JJ... How are you? I hope all is well in your part of planet Earth?

    Lovely, easy listening music! She has a truly beautiful voice JJ.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.