Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Words to Live By


star

I believe strongly that words, motivate, inspire, and educate. At Christmas time, I always like to conjure up some of my favorite quotes that we can all live by throughout the holiday season:

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.” - George Eliot

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney

“If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” - Milton Berle

”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

”It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

”Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” - Mark Twain

”Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.” - Henry Ford

“To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.” - Elbert Hubbard

”We see things not as they are, but as we are.” - H. M. Tomlinson

“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.” - Jimmy Johnson

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” - Winston Churchill

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” - Mark Twain

“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” - John Wooden

“If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up.” - J.M. Power

“Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get.” - Ray Kroc

“Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” - Dale Carnegie

“A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him.” - Sidney Greenberg

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” - Wayne Gretzky

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The only way to have a friend is to be one.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” - Dwight D. Eisenhower


And here is my favorite quote, which I have lived and continue to live my life by:

“Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do." - Dave del Dotto

 
 
This week on the Disconnected Traveler:
 
 

40 comments:

  1. Nice collection. I used the Twain quote with my students this week. I don't think I've come across the Churchill quote. It rocked me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #167 Dad: I thought you would like that one. It's one of my favorites.

      Delete
  2. I definitely remember the Gretzky quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex: I have a signed picture with that quote on it.

      Delete
  3. ALL of these reflect positiveness!. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy: Of course. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

      Delete
    2. I'll e-mail you. I wish you all the best.

      Delete
  4. I do like your quotes- I've always enjoyed it when you post a list- it seems it's been a while that you've done this! Thank you, JJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Thank you. I do need a little Christmas spirit.

      Delete
  5. A wonderful collection. Sometimes life is really in how we perceive it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle: Thank you. It certainly is.

      Delete
  6. Great collection of quotes. An inspirational cd might be a good idea? A small "novelty" book illustrated by Pamo might be a winner? We all fall off the positive ladder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: That's why I try to post as positively as feasible. Everyone (except me) needs inspiration.

      Delete
  7. Awesome quotes, J.J. I'm gonna tweet this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki: Thank you. Everyone needs a lift now and then (except me).

      Delete
  8. Love these. Always been partial to that Edison quote:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: I do like the Churchill quote.

      Delete
  9. I love these quotes. I had the idea of writing a post with inspirational quotes. If I do, I will be posting a link to this entry. Great selection to keep always in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia: There are so many great ones. I look forward to yours.

      Delete
  10. I love great quotes. I write a new one in my journal every day. These are some of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda: I do the same. I also read them often.

      Delete
  11. I love these quotes, especially the ones by Gretzky and Johnson.
    Mine to add is "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E.D. - Great quote, which is also one of my favorites.

      Delete
  12. I love your quotes JJ and I also look to quotes for inspiration in times of need. There is a load of comfort to be found in quotes, I believe! You know JJ, I think I might just follow your lead and share my favourite quotes as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine: You should. You are very inspirational!

      Delete
  13. Those are all great quotes. I especially love Edison's and Gretztky's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kmckendry: Those are some of my favorites as well. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Great set of quotes.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your inspirational quotes!
    twain is the master of common sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara: I love Twain. So many 20th century authors owe their success to him.

      Delete
  16. Great quotes and a wonderful way to celebrate the season! So many of these are near and dear to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine: It is a great way to celebrate the season, and may yours be bright!

      Delete
  17. I love a great quote. :) These are all wonderful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel: Thank you for becoming my 500th follower!

      Delete
  18. Nice posting and some great quotes! Enjoyed reading your blogs today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gossip_Grl: Thank you very much. The quotes are great, especially this time of year.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.