Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Friday, January 11, 2013

Let Them Eat Cheese

pig

To paraphrase Dickens, I am an animal lover. You must believe this, if this post is to carry any meaning at all.

Yesterday, my wife was reading an article in a magazine in which a woman wrote an inquiry to an online veterinarian. The woman stated that her guinea pig had lost its appetite and asked if there was something she could do.

The online vet concluded it was a dental problem. He suggested that her guinea pig undergo dental surgery under anesthesia. He further opined that after a full recovery, the woman should continue with follow-up dental treatments to keep the guinea pig’s teeth all the same length to avoid future problems.

Now, I am a huge animal lover. I don’t hurt animals under any circumstances. I am really strange about it. I walk around ants and re-locate spiders in my home. I like dogs better than people. However, at the risk of sounding insensitive, I offer the following advice to the inquiring woman – free of charge:
Lady, get a life. It’s a F’n rat! If you have enough money to put braces on your guinea pig, you might be the real Cavia Porcellus. Give it to the poor! There are no rodent dentists in the wild. The poor creature belongs running free, not in your glass tank!
I am aware of the fact that cat psychiatrists in Connecticut make a lot more money than I do, and I am certain they serve some purpose in Nature’s plan. However, in the scheme of things in life, when we search for answers to human problems, perhaps we should study the subordinate, sycophantic plaything-people, who submit to societal puppet masters, giving the money they don’t need to fast-talkers happy to steal it, rather than donate it to those truly needy or worthy charities.

In a nation where our economy is questionable, stories like this sort of piss me off.

17 comments:

  1. I can see that. And I second the motion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess common sense ain't that common- as Voltaire once said.... What is worse people will Google any sort of medical disorder and ass-u-me that its gospel... The internet has way too much info and must be sifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KBF: People always have to ruin good things.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, then maybe I shouldn't tell you that I spent $300 for surgery on my daughter's guinea pig to remove an infected cyst because she was hysterical at the thought he might die? Or that not long after that she lost interest in him and we gave him away? Yeah, nevermind. That's not something that I've told many people because I'm embarrassed that I did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galen: What we do out of love for our children is not necessarily logical. I think what got to me was the thought of some rich lady getting ripped off while people are struggling to get by. I figured he should be ashamed of himself, and she should get a life. Don't mind me. I have been dealing with a few things lately.

      Delete
  4. I love animals, though I do step on spiders in my house, but they are still animals, dental work for a rat is obscene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh: Donate the money to a good cause, I say.

      Delete
  5. Dental work for a guinea pig, huh? Not I've heard it all.

    I agree with you. We've had a lot of pets over the years, and we've loved them all, but when it comes to extreme medical care, let alone dental care, for crying out loud, there has to be some common sense and perspective employed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I think I heard that phrase, "common sense," when I was growing up.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, stories like this bother me too, especially with two root canals needing to be done right now and dreading the bill (I take great care of my teeth, they're just 'soft' and break easily). Even if the guinea pig does in fact need dental work (I could see that leading to a decrease in diet), I just can't see it being worth the cost. Find someone else in need and help them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriel: "Find someone else in need and help them out." Absolutely!

      Delete
  7. Me thinks the Vet's kid's college payment is due.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan: I think I heard that phrase, "common sense," when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remember when we used to flush dead goldfish down the toilet? God forbid we should do that today! We must run out and find a goldfish that is IDENTICAL in every way to the dead one before the child gets home from school, so our child doesn't freak out and require a therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, I will have to say that as a self proclaimed 'freedom freak' I value the fact that we can choose what we spend our hard earned dollars on more than what actually comes of those dollars. Maybe I'm a hard ass or maybe I've just had enough of ANYBODY telling me what to do.
    I believe in society's ability to provide for those who truly need it. I have seen this at work and it was much more prevalent in the past (possibly because we didn't have government babysitters telling us what to do...). Remember that there is a delicate balance between helping others and keeping them down by constantly providing what they can earn themselves.
    All of that said, yes- you have the right to be annoyed by this. It is stupid. As humans we don't always do the things that contribute to the greater good instead of what our own selfish desires would have us go after. I still value freedom more. What can I say?!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.