Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Societal Suicide


grim

What is on TV to entertain young Americans who now owe $824,000 each as their share of the National Debt?

Jersey Shore: The series follows the exploits of eight dim-witted housemates who curse, fight, drink, have sex, and get arrested at their summer home along the quiet, pristine beaches of New Jersey, right off the turnpike. I understand this show has been cancelled. Too bad.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo: This show follows the promising career of a six-year old child from Georgia participating in beauty pageants, while her family is paid $50,000 per episode. Child exploitation? Not at all. Our kids can always watch Toddlers and Tiaras, but Boo Boo raises the cultural bar and motivates our teens.

Wife Swap: This is one of the best. Who wouldn’t want to swap a wife for a chance to experience a different, even lower social class? And what wife would pass up the opportunity to become the swapee? It teaches young people, (those in the 20 percentile that have heard of marriage), the value of a strong, healthy marital relationship, where the wife is only temporarily traded, for better or for worse.
 
All My Babies’ Mamas: Shawty-Lo is an apathetic father of 11 children with 10 unwed mothers vying for sex and child support. Could this be even more demeaning than Amos ‘n’ Andy? I wouldn’t let my child watch this show if I were green.

Buckwild: Here is a show designed to give kids ideas that will help them land jobs. The series follows the lives of nine young West Virginia adults, who love small-town American rural life. With episodes like "F. the Neighborhood," why would any parent be concerned with children watching too much TV? Almost Heaven, West Virginia.

Jackass: The high school kids love this one, especially the ones who can’t read the book. Let’s face it. Dangerous, crude, stupid pranks and stunts are funny. It tends to help dropouts with their self-esteem problems.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians: In a recent poll of young Americans, the Kardashian sisters took three of the top five spots when teens were asked who the best role models were for young women today. Publicity-stunt marriages, phony fights, rear-end enhancements, and more keep millions of young people returning every week.  

Hurl: This show features eating competitions, where contestants eat as many pounds of sushi and fast food as their stomachs can handle, and then participate in extreme sports while trying not to vomit. This is hilarious. Maybe Hollywood could create an even more hilarious show called Anorexia.
 
Temptation Island: In this show that demonstrates to the world the new moral culture in the U.S.A. , scantily clad couples visit a tropical island. The men are then separated from the women, while sexy tempters and temptresses try to entice them to cheat on their mates. Will they take the bait? Apparently. The divorce rate in this country for couples under 25 who bother to marry is astronomical. To a guy like me, who insisted that my son treat your daughter like I would expect your son to treat my daughter, this show has no redeeming social value. But you’re right. That’s only my opinion, and like everybody, like has the like right, to like think, like whatever they want. That’s like what makes like America like free like.

Had enough? I have. Sorry for the sarcasm and negativity, but even I cannot make something positive out of this crap.






27 comments:

  1. I wouldn't watch any of that crap. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all PURE TRASH... especially Honey Boo-Boo... Any more shows like that and the country is going to hell in a hand-basket!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KBF: Based on these shows, we might be there already!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I don't watch TV...I read the news and selectively pick my movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, I've been too busy watching shows like N.C.I.S.- C.S.I.- Elementary, basically anything that's not a reality show. Recently a new show Vegas- (just finished watching) it's about Vegas in the sixties cool cars- Dennis Quaid plays sheriff - and Michael Chiklis (Commish) you might like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: NCIS is great. I'll check out Vegas. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. finally...someone worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only one I've seen is the Kardashians. I always liked Bruce Jenner and he doesn't really fit in except with his face lift and jewelry. But he is still on the fringe. This AM on radio I heard 2 talk-show guys talking about Honey Boo Boo. I had no idea what they meant. Glad your review came just in time. I've never even heard of the others. I listen to radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manzi: I also still think of Bruce Jenner as an American Olympic hero, and I never watched the show from begining to end, so I will preserve my good memories of him from the past.

      Delete
  7. What a guy you are! How did you make it through all those shows? What stamina for crap you must have. Kudos for your sarcasm and negativity. The scary thing is this is the crap our young people are watching. They are being dumbed down--and what's that going to do for the country? We don't have to worry. We'll be gone with the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: I didn't make it all the way through any of them. I watched parts of the shows currently running so I could critique them (which isn't worth it), and I wrote this post instead. We can't "go" yet. What will happen to the world?

      Delete
  8. JJ,
    You know more about the TV shows than I!!!! Peripherally, I have an awareness. They are just as disgusting to me as they are to you. Unbelievable that you were able to even watch a few minutes of each.

    Like Karen S., I watch a lot of NCIS. Our TVs are tuned mostly to Gold Rush or other shows on Discovery or History channels. We just got Netflix...not sure why because we don't really watch much TV.

    Here's an idea for many people: GET OUT AND GET YOUR OWN LIFE!!!! Truly, I think most people watch TV junk because they don't know how to get their own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-M: Believe me, even a few minutes of viewing these shows and my IQ dropped 10 points. I think you are exactly right. They have no lives. Maybe if they stopped watching that garbage, they could find a few positive interests.

      Delete
  9. Oh my.

    Jersey Shore: Never watched it, although I have heard of GTL (Gym, Tan, and Laundry.)

    Here Comes Honey Boo Boo: Only one word comes to mind. Disgusting. I may be Southern, but I live in an entirely different class.

    Wife Swap: Never watched it. Sounds disgusting also.

    All My Babies’ Mamas: Never heard of this show and I don't have to watch this to see this scenario played out.

    Buckwild: Never heard of this show either.

    Jackass: What a Jackass.

    Keeping Up with the Kardashians: The things white ho's will do for money.

    Hurl: Never heard of this one either. But I am starting to gag just thinking about it.

    Temptation Island: Never heard of this one either and wouldn't watch it if I knew about it. I am not a Survivor fan either. I'd rather watch the History channel.

    I did stumble across a show about a Funeral Home and the strange funerals they perform. But don't plan on adding it to my viewing agenda anytime soon.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ames: I think the most positive thing anyone can say is "Oh my."

      Delete
  10. I try not to think about the millions that are watching these shows--that look forward to these shows! It is just so sad. I watch way too much news because there is usually nothing else on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise: You are right. There is nothing on TV. I tend to watch only news myself, but these days, it is neither informative nor uplifting.

      Delete
  11. I know some of these shows from seeing my own daughter watch them. The others are unknown to me and hopefully will stay that way. I would add to your list Teen Moms, another of my daughter's favorites.

    I should mention that when my kids were growing up, I limited TV to two hours on the weekend, plus family night on Friday nights when we rented a video and had pizza for dinner. That was it. And I had veto power over what they watched. And no video games.

    And yet, as young adults, their taste in TV is still on a par with peers who grew up watching all these shows. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galen: We did that as well, and I am happy about it. Imagine if they had free access to TV and video games!

      Delete
  12. Hey, JJ,

    MAN you said a mouthful! What happened to the sensors. When I was a kid they couldn't even say worlds like bastard, bitch, married couples slept in separate beds (loved this one) and women weren't allowed to show their navel... let alone ANYTHING ELSE...

    So what happened?

    Also, WHY are parents ALLOWING their kids to WATCH THESE SHOWS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael: There you go. Our culture has changed. Unfortunately, we threw the baby out with the bath water. We should have held on to the norms that were working well and concentrated on those that were not.

      Delete
  13. I've never watched any of those programs, but I sure hope you made up the one called "Hurl". YUK. I guess people must be watching this crap, or TV wouldn't keep inflicting it on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I wish I made it up. It is sad to think that we live in a society where enough people are watching this stuff to make it profitable.

      Delete
  14. JJ, I wholeheartedly agree with you... it's all nonsensical caca!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.