Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Where Exactly Is It?


Map picture

 
My family is visiting for Independence Day, which also happens to be my wife’s birthday. Last night, we were reminiscing when one of the kids resurrected this little tale from the past.

The year was 1986, and I had been working quite hard, spent a great deal of time traveling, and found myself even more focused than usual on an important major project. Our family was growing, and my wife wanted a new home that could accommodate all of us, especially since we had just adopted a child, which was a new experience with a great deal of connected anxiety.

In any event, while I usually traveled with my family even when trips were job related, this particular journey was not possible with a full crew. I hated traveling without my wife, especially in times when important matters affecting our family were on the table. However, one must do what one must do. My wife was rightfully concerned that we had run out of room in our tiny dwelling. She was determined to move. Life goes on, even when you’re absent.

I always kept in touch during my travels, but on this occasion it was more difficult. Nevertheless, Carol decided to keep our collective goals moving in the right direction while I was gone. She found a realtor and began looking at houses suitable for our clan, and with her discerning eye, she found one right away. The problem she faced was the need for a quick closing by a re-locating owner. As usual, she acted without much hesitation. My wife closed on the house by herself and moved in with the kids before I returned. Of course, that was fine with me. I am what one might call “easy going” in these types of matters.

When I completed my journey, I called home very excited about seeing my family again and told them I was on my way. It was a happy moment, indeed. The only problem was that after the call ended and I was en route, I realized I had no idea where the new house was or what it looked like. I found myself standing on a corner with a travel bag and, like Dylan I suppose, with no direction home.

This was one of the craziest ventures we ever undertook, but it worked out very well. The house was beautiful, and we ultimately sold it three years later for almost triple the cost! Sometimes, one just can’t let sanity get in the way.

. . .

20 comments:

  1. Good story JJ. Your wife did what she had to do, lucky she had you to back her up. As an adopted kid, one line in particular caught my attention. I do hope that initial anxiety wasn't transfered to the kid over the years. My mom was way too over protective for me. I was lucky I had a head on my shoulders and understood her concern, but nontheless, she held me back. You will have a happy holiday with your family around you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Thanks. As for the adoption, there was definitely no anxiety transfer. We adopted a five-year old girl with special needs from Chile during Pinochet's "State of Siege." We got trapped in the country for more than two months and were lucky to get out. Today, she is the greatest! Have a wonderful Fourth.

      Delete
  2. Great story. Your Carol is one spunky lady. That is one of the things I like best about her.

    Give one another hug and enjoy your 4th of July holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: She sure is. Happy 4th, my friend.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this nice story JJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanático_Um: Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Nice story.
    Happy Fourth, Happy Birthday to your wife, and God bless you both for adopting a special needs child...you both must be special as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh: Thank you. Enjoy the holiday!

      Delete
  5. Your daughter and you and Robin were very fortunate to have found each other. It does take special people. Initial anxiety and all, my folks were the best too. I'd love to read the story sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: I'm not sure about the other two, but I am lucky.

      Delete
  6. lol, that must've been disconcerting not knowing where your new home was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda: Nah. I knew she'd lasso me eventually.

      Delete
  7. Hi JJ ... Carol sounds as though she has a very strong head on her shoulders - good for her .. and I hope you remembered the phone number to ring and check out where you should be ... or are you still a wandering soul!! I know you're not - happy Fourth of July weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary: Maybe that is my problem. I'm a wandering soul who longs to be with his family!!

      Delete
  8. I agree with Hilary that your wife has "a very strong head on her shoulders!" She acted fast and made a huge profit! She also knew where to find the perfect husband!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: Perfect husband! You mean after all these years she is cheating on me?

      Delete
  9. Smart woman! Happy Independence Day and Happy Birthday to the Mrs.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is funny! Good to know that this type of thing has happened to many people I suppose.
    My friends family had to make a sudden move and it was the week of our high school prom. She stayed with me for a few days and then realized the night of prom that she didn't know where to go to meet with her parents to have pictures taken before the dance!
    Your wife is just my kind of gal and my husband is just as easy-going as you are!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.