Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Monday, September 2, 2013

A Slice of Life

slice


Home

“Can you do me a favor, JJ? When you go to Home Depot today, would you pick me up a few of those paint charts with the various colors available so I can see what shade I want to paint that wall in the kitchen?”

“Sure. No problem.”

In the Store

“Excuse me, sir. I’m looking for one of those contraptions that convert a two-pronged outdoor extension cord into a three-pronged grounded wire. Do you know what I mean?”

Without words, the man walks down the electrical aisle with me close behind.

“Dammit! They’re supposed to be in this bin. If I told that kid once, I told him a thousand times how to stock these shelves. You can’t fix stupid.”

“No problem. I’ll pick it up next time.”

At the Register

“Good morning. How are you today?”

“Okay, now. My cousin’s best friend was just diagnosed with diabetes. She’s only 30.”

“That’s a shame. These were marked 30% off.”

“Everyone in her family has diabetes, and her uncle is on dialysis.”

“Yeah. Too much sugar isn’t very healthy.”

“They don’t eat any sugar. They love soda pop, but it’s not like they pour four extra sugars in their sweet tea.”

“Well, I hope they all feel better soon.”

“I doubt it.”

“Well, thanks a lot. Have a great day.”

In the Parking Lot

“JJ. Is that you?”

“Hey, Bill. I haven’t seen you in a dog’s age. How are things goin’?”

“You know. Best they can under the circumstances.”

“How’s Barbara?”

“She’s been under the weather all summer.”

“Oh. Sorry to hear that.”

“You know. It’s this damn humidity.”

“How are the kids?”

“Alright, I guess. They are draining. Between baseball, dance lessons, and back-to-school stuff, we have no life.”

“Ah. You’re kids are terrific.”

“Yeah. It’s easy for you to say. Yours are grown. We’re still in the misery stage.”

“Well, it was great to see you again, Bill. We would love to get together.

“Me too, but our lives are on hold for at least another ten years. Say hi to your wife.”

“Will do. Take care, Bill.”

Back Home

“I picked up those paint charts for you.”

“Oh, great! Those colors are so pretty.”

“Pick out a good one and I’ll paint that wall for you.”

“Thanks sweetheart. It’ll brighten up the kitchen. I just made a fresh pot of coffee. Would you like a cup?”

“Love it. You know, I have traveled the world from one end to the other and you make the best coffee on the entire planet.”

 

. . .

 

19 comments:

  1. People are widely unaware of their own energy. Negative energy feeds on negative energy and positive feeds on positive. Every person in the world would benefit from simply being aware of what energy they are bring into every interaction. If people were very conscious of their own energy and sought to always bring positive, rather than negative energy, not only would they feel better about their lives, but it would make them far more pleasant to be around. In the beginning, you about have to fake it 'til you make it. In this case, pretending does become the truth.

    I know from my own personal experience that when I am feeling particularly poorly, or things just seem aligned to not be going my way, that it is very easy to fall into that negativity trap. The thing is that living there doesn't actually make you feel better about anything. Sometimes a loved one will say, "I know you don't feel good, but stop bringing me your negative energy." Man, that is a wake-up call. Simply by turning all of that negative junk into positive thinking... you actually do feel better. As I said, it might feel like pretending at first, but then you literally do feel better.

    I didn't miss the fact that at home you and Carol have a positive symbiosis thing going on, and when you step out the door the energy shifts. I imagine it makes you all the more thankful that you don't have to live with any of those people... and you are very happy at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: It is all about positive and negative energy. Say something people don't like and they call you negative. Say something negative and they call you negative. Say something positive and they don't listen. Around my wife, my friends, and even a few family members, my shields are down. Outside, they are always up.

      Delete
  2. Everyday life and common life are what we have to get for pleasure most of the times. We have to learn how to make the best from it. I liked this post very much because it is as simple as real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanático_Um: I agree. Life is what takes place between all those problems, and some people do not take the time to enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. People live in their own little worlds, don't they....

    ReplyDelete
  4. These folks might try the complaint free challenge. As earlier noted, so many people are evaluating everything from their own lives to the world situation through a lens of negativity. What many don't realize is that you can change your lens. It's a choice. Loved your examples.

    Also, just wanted to say hi. I'm looking forward to reconnecting after my summer blog break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galen: I agree. It is great to hear from you after your break. I trust you had a wonderful summer. Looking forward to your insight.

      Delete
  5. Hi JJ .. life is life - and it usually doesn't relate to us as we go about our daily chores ... our heads are here, theirs are there ... but at least you got a lovely cup of coffee ... and a wife who was happy - happiness is at home ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary: "Life is life." I understand, and I love it! Cheers.

      Delete
  6. It's a jungle out there. Home is where we know it for sure. Sweet piece JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you have a happy home to come back to.
    We who have the best energy at home are very fortunate indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine: I recognize how fortunate I am every day of my life.

      Delete
  8. Isn't it comforting to know that simply walking back through the door of your own little sanctum can erase the horror of your trek into the darkness of the department store. All is good with the world once more. Home + Beautiful Wife & freshly brewed coffee = Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are drains and there are radiators ...
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.