Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Monday, June 23, 2014

Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be . . .

smart


I suppose you must fill in the blanks to complete the title of this post. I looked up synonyms for “intelligent” so I could complete the title myself, but here is the best I found online:

          1. having or showing a lot of intelligence

          2. possessing intelligence

In any event, it fits nicely with the spirit of this post.

John Wayne told us, “Life is tough, but it’s tougher when you’re stupid.” The Duke was right. This week, I spoke casually with friends, relatives, strangers, students, and neighbors about a myriad of subjects, and I learned a frustrating lesson along the way. The following comments floored me:

          1. “The problem today is education. In college, they make you greedy. We gotta teach our kids how to be poor so we give ‘em good values.”

          2. “I never read no books in school and it never did me nuttin’ bad.”

          3. “Studies show that using a computer shrinks your brain 10% a year.”

          4. “I asked you to send me a form to fill out and send back. I got it today. Do I have to fill it out and send it back?”

          5. “It says in our bill that the payment is due June 23rd. What is the due date?”

          6. “I don’t believe in education. People that are educated look down on you like you’re stupid.”

          7. “We should just open our borders to the rest of the world. Then we would have nobody to fight with.”

          8. You’re only a terrorist if you are the one doing the terrorizing.”

          9. I didn’t vote for Romney because he is a Mormon and he’s for wealth.”

Ridiculous? Without a power base of people like the ones who spoke those words above, how could Hillary sell “We struggled to make ends meet after leaving the White House?”

We live in a society where we can no longer disagree from an American perspective, with a degree of intelligence. If you wish to take down the Roman Empire, you cannot do it with force. You must dismantle it from within. To accomplish that task, the well must be poisoned. Much of today’s youth knows little of 9/11. They know it was our fault. They know it was because we stole all that oil we are still enjoying from our peaceful Middle Eastern brothers. They know that setting the world’s most dangerous terrorists free is the right thing to do because keeping them in prison is mean. They know that opening our borders to illegal Central American aliens will help us solve our own internal problems.

Why did I write this frustrating, less-than-positive post? I wanted to honor George Carlin who warned us: “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

. . .

15 comments:

  1. Never underestimate the power of stupidity. The state of the country if frightening. The problem I have with college right now is that it's soon going to financially out of reach of the middle class. My husband is still working at age 66 to help our last child through college. I can't imagine how my grandchildren will manage. Too many people in our country have forgotten the meaning of work and making your own way. Sad and scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. College is supposed to be higher education. In some cases, it has become what used to be high school education, and the tuition has gone out of sight.

      Delete
  2. How's being poor going to help anyone? Poor people can't help poor people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem is, so many people, in the interest of keeping an open mind, have allowed their brains to fall out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is FUNNY. And Sad. And True.

      Delete
    2. Love the comment! I hope I can steal it.

      Delete
  4. My mother has taken to watching Judge Judy. She finds it humorous. It took me a while to find said humor because the common thread of stupid depressed the crap out of me. Finally I reached the place where I could at least appreciate Judge Judy and her unwillingness to deal with their stupid (which I think is what appealed to mom all along). But then she says things like, "I can't believe that anyone would do (fill in the blank)."

    And I say, "Really? After watching all of those episodes of Judge Judy you aren't yet convinced that the entire country has gone to hell in a hand basket and the clueless outnumber the thinking person by a LARGE margin???"

    She did have to agree when I put it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the clueless seem to outnumber the thinking crowd these days.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Nah. You're part of the thinking crowd. We need you!

      Delete
  6. You echo several of my own gripes, but I tend to keep them to myself, occasionally venting in front of my kids, who are home schooled by the way to keep them from indoctrination.

    My CIO hubby always says, "I can fix a lot of things, but I can't fix stupid."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know many stay-at-home fathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia: Very true, but the song was "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys." I would hope the dads got the same message.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.