Monday, June 23, 2014
Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be . . .
I suppose you must fill in the blanks to complete the title of this post. I looked up synonyms for “intelligent” so I could complete the title myself, but here is the best I found online:
1. having or showing a lot of intelligence
2. possessing intelligence
In any event, it fits nicely with the spirit of this post.
John Wayne told us, “Life is tough, but it’s tougher when you’re stupid.” The Duke was right. This week, I spoke casually with friends, relatives, strangers, students, and neighbors about a myriad of subjects, and I learned a frustrating lesson along the way. The following comments floored me:
1. “The problem today is education. In college, they make you greedy. We gotta teach our kids how to be poor so we give ‘em good values.”
2. “I never read no books in school and it never did me nuttin’ bad.”
3. “Studies show that using a computer shrinks your brain 10% a year.”
4. “I asked you to send me a form to fill out and send back. I got it today. Do I have to fill it out and send it back?”
5. “It says in our bill that the payment is due June 23rd. What is the due date?”
6. “I don’t believe in education. People that are educated look down on you like you’re stupid.”
7. “We should just open our borders to the rest of the world. Then we would have nobody to fight with.”
8. You’re only a terrorist if you are the one doing the terrorizing.”
9. I didn’t vote for Romney because he is a Mormon and he’s for wealth.”
Ridiculous? Without a power base of people like the ones who spoke those words above, how could Hillary sell “We struggled to make ends meet after leaving the White House?”
We live in a society where we can no longer disagree from an American perspective, with a degree of intelligence. If you wish to take down the Roman Empire, you cannot do it with force. You must dismantle it from within. To accomplish that task, the well must be poisoned. Much of today’s youth knows little of 9/11. They know it was our fault. They know it was because we stole all that oil we are still enjoying from our peaceful Middle Eastern brothers. They know that setting the world’s most dangerous terrorists free is the right thing to do because keeping them in prison is mean. They know that opening our borders to illegal Central American aliens will help us solve our own internal problems.
Why did I write this frustrating, less-than-positive post? I wanted to honor George Carlin who warned us: “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
. . .