Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Maybe Wearing It is Better Than Smoking It

grass


When I was a college student, I enjoyed membership in a national fraternity. We did all those crazy things one would expect of immature, away-from-home 19-year olds, just like they do today, with one major exception – we studied.

In any event, our world has changed, and few people not appearing on TV or in the movies believe it is for the better. Nevertheless, every time ridiculous actions are taken in the name of freedom and equality, I get sick to my stomach.

The latest idiocy emanates from California (you could have knocked me over with a feather). It seems a group of loonies has now accused the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity at the University of California Irvine of racism because the members hosted a charity fundraiser billed as a FIJI Islander Party, complete with students dressed in grass skirts and coconut bras. Since the 19th century, Phi Gamma Delta has referred to itself as FIJI (for “Phi-G”). The incident has resulted in mandatory campus-wide discussions on offensive behavior among Greek organizations.

“The administration and student affairs is using it as an opportunity to show to fraternities what cultural appropriation is and how they might be more sensitive . . .”

The entire incident began when a student of Fijian descent, claimed the charity fundraiser harmed “marginalized” people in favor of “white male hegemonic structures.” The Asian Pacific Student Association stated the fraternity was “tacitly committing an act of cultural appropriation and publicly projecting their ethnographic ignorance.”

I don’t know what that means, but there is sure a great deal of ignorance present when Americans are compelled more and more every day to silence their voices and curb their actions. I remember when President Lyndon Johnson tried that during his escalation of the Vietnam War. Of course, it did not work. His Great Society appears to have flopped, unless you prefer to walk the streets of America like a scared rabbit, in silence, afraid to say anything because some fragment of society is waiting in the wings to pounce on you for being racist.

Come to think of it, I think I will sue my Alma Mater. I spent four years at that school as a member of one of its fraternal organizations and I am not Greek. That’s all they offered at the time.  I have been retroactively culturally misappropriated and marginalized because of the school’s ethnographic ignorance.

. . . 

15 comments:

  1. It just gets sillier and sillier. Will Toga parties upset Italians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh: You should have read my first draft! I actually had the Italians and the Toga parties in there.

      Delete
  2. I am sick of it. All of it. I miss the days when men acted like men and women acted like women. And everyone wore their big boy/girl panties. I want to tell that kid to go put his big boy pants on and get over it.

    Whenever I moaned about some perceived unfairness in life my father ALWAYS said, "Whoever told you that life would be fair?" And that ended that. Life isn't fair. Never has been. Never will be. The people who make it are the ones who push through. They don't blame others. They work at being THEIR best. This kid acts like he is entitled to something. In fact, more and more people are suffering from Entitlement Disease. You are not entitled to anything. (Was that a spoiler?) If you work hard you just might make something of yourself. You are entitled to an opportunity. Whether you take it is solely up to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: You got that right. I always remember the adage, "I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."

      Delete
  3. Gosh, things are taken so out of proportion these days, all I do is roll my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda: I wish people would just live their lives.

      Delete
  4. I just have one word to say about this, JJ....

    UNBELIEVABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael: Life as we know it is changing.

      Delete
  5. OMG! I went to one of those parties fifty six years ago. It was like a toga party of Animal House, but with everybody dressed South seas. Actually, it was an excuse to get as near naked as you dared and to make out. I just got over my hangover.

    WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH FOLKS! All this mess just proves, you have to invite the neighbors if you're having a blast of a party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: I agree with you. I remember the Hawaiian Luau when - Oh, never mind.

      Delete
  6. Silly stuff! It's really just another example to add to the ever growing list of examples of Political correctness gone mad. Just like calling Christmas Trees - Holiday Trees so as not to offend those who don't celebrate Christmas or calling the traditional British pudding Spotted Dick -Spotted Richard so as not to offend a persons name. What the??? I don't know .. it's just silly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine: Wow! Maybe I should file a lawsuit. My first name is actually John, and everyone is always going to the John!

      Delete
  7. Just stopping by to say Hello JJ its been a while :-) Hope you and your family are well, Best wishes, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee: Great to hear from you. All is well. I miss blogging with you. I hope you are enjoying life to the fullest!

      Delete
  8. I agree that this is absolutely ridiculous. I was in a sorority in college, and it's hard to believe how much has changed. We actually got along for the most part, and the fraternities weren't on probation every other week for even the slightest incidents. Of course it's good to know that they're on the lookout for safety reasons, but a lot of this PC stuff is Pure Crap. Good luck with your lawsuit, JJ!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.