Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Let Us Strive to Contain It on Earth


hope


Back on August 7, 2014, President Obama assured us that we need not worry about the Ebola virus. It can and will be contained, he indicated. That explanation did not satisfy me, but most Americans seem to rely on our government’s assurances like fish in a hatchery at feeding time.


Now, things have changed. I guess the government has realized that to contain the virus, somebody had to do something. Imagine that. Here is the plan:


·        Build 17 new treatment facilities. Good idea. Meanwhile, as the disease spreads through West Africa, where it has already killed thousands, we will continue to bring infected U.S. citizens back home to be treated here. What could possibly go wrong?
 

·        Send $763 million to fund the program, since no one in West Africa ever squandered American aid dollars. We can rest assured that every dime will reach those in need.
 

·        The President plans to get the rest of the world involved in the fight to prevent the spread of Ebola. I suppose because of his tough reputation, he does not even have to say, “Pretty please.” So far, Cuba and China have sent a few health workers, and I believe some other African nation is planning to lend Sierra Leone an ambulance to transport the dead numbering 2500 since the announcement about containing the disease.


·        More than two months ago, West African nations and American medical experts implored the White House to jump on the plans to control Ebola. White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Obama believes that "making an investment here early is critical to trying to snuff out this problem before it becomes a much more widespread problem." Although the White House position two months ago was the virus would surely be contained, today we were told it is "spiraling out of control." Gee, who knew?


·        Another measure calls for sending 3000 American troops to affected West African nations to help with the efforts to eradicate the virus. Nothing could go wrong there.


·        My favorite measure is the effort to make sure airline personnel stay alert for signs of the virus in any passengers. Don’t worry. You can trust your flight attendant.


·        Of course, efforts will also be stepped up by airport security personnel. When they are not confiscating nail clippers from little old ladies, they can keep Ebola-infected people out of the U.S.A.


Certainly, something must be done and the effort must be global. However, I have absolutely no faith in the present administration to lead the world in anything. They are already too late. For example, months ago, Air France stopped all flights to and from West Africa to help protect French citizens. We still have over two-hundred thousand outstanding visas issued to nations affected by Ebola. What could go wrong there?


I think I can add one more idea to the President’s overall plan: Put up signs in California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas forbidding entry to anyone suffering from the Ebola virus. Let’s all work together to confine this deadly disease to planet Earth.

 

. . .

13 comments:

  1. Hi JJ - the problem is a serious one to put it mildly ... and everyone was way too late with the story and the realisation how challenging this outbreak was going to be ... even if we are now late on the case.

    Educating people, who still practise their ancients' way of life, where corruption is rife (beyond words), we then find out how difficult it is to find a way through to eliminate diseases, let alone viruses ...

    There is so much to be concerned about, yet politics plays a more important role often - ridiculous dos and don'ts from health authorities ... World Health Organisation, United Nations, European Union and each country .. and dictatorships ...

    I sincerely hope a way can be found through very soon ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary: I wholeheartedly agree. Although I hate politics, I find myself focusing on the actions of world governments more and more these days. It is a scary proposition for my grandchildren, especially the way we so easily dismiss the seriousness of a potential epidemic.

      Delete
  2. Whenever someone says 'we need not worry', that's when I worry!. As they say there are no guarantees in life!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KBF: Absolutely! It reminds me of how defensive I become when someone I am dealing with tells me repeatedly how honest he or she is. I hold down my pockets.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Manzi: All they have to do is build an English coffeehouse and serve some tea.

      Delete
  4. I can't stop laughing! You can send whoever is stupid enough to go. Not my sons. I would be insisting they went AWOL. This is coming to you from a gal who is now wiping down the arms of the dental chair and restaurant tables and any other public furnishings she is about to come in contact with with disinfectant wipes . JJ you've got to have a TV press conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Imagine! I can't wait to get back to my home planet.

      Delete
  5. Roland Yoemans wrote a blog about Ebola a month ago(?) talking about how crazy it was to bring infected people to Atlanta. He linked to a study that looked at Ebola in animals (to determine how it spread, among other things). Animals with ebola and animals without were in the same room, but separate cages. Turns out that the non-infected, who never had physical contact with the infected, contracted the virus. Soooo... it is an airborne virus, though many do not want to admit that. Ergo, an entire plane full of people could be infected by one sick person. Ergo, bringing one sick person into a country that has no infected persons is not only dangerous, but stupid. Unless you want to crash the economy by making the citizenry terrified of leaving home as the virus spreads. If that is your goal... well, then it is a brilliant plan.

    Beam me up Scotty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: I'll save you a seat on the Mother Ship when I return to my home planet. This could not be it.

      Delete
  6. That is what my gut/common sense reaction was too exactly, when I first heard we were bringing them here! When someone tells me not to worry lately, it's too late. Your post opens so much that is unspeakable, and not just the world but our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Yes, it seems too simple. We don't want to get paranoid, but I would like to hear the truth, if possible.

      Delete
  7. I wish we would've followed Air France's lead. The idea of sending troops in is pretty frightening. It's so true how airport security is busy spending time "confiscating nail clippers from little old ladies." I also hope this doesn't turn into an epidemic.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.