Change

Change
Turning Over New Leaf

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Your Children Come First!

witch


Halloween is a terrific time of year for everyone. The holiday was always a big deal in our household. Margaret Hamilton, the Wicked Witch of the West, was a member of our family, so witches are dear to our hearts.

Of course, we must use common sense when it comes to the little ones. Here are some safety tips I culled from a few education sites:

1. Know where your children are looking for treats, so no one is tricked. Don’t let them wander into strange territory.

2. Don’t let the real young ones go out alone. Even among older children, they are less safe than if you accompany them. Older kids tend to ignore the five-year-olds when they are amongst friends.

3. Tell your kids of all ages NEVER to enter a home for candy.

4. Be sure your children do not eat any candy until they get home. Make sure all candy is individually wrapped and inspect the treats before they eat.

5. Let them carry a cell phone. Your ten-year-old doesn’t want you hanging around, but that does not mean you can’t keep in touch.

My personal tips for keeping kids safe are a lot more stringent. When mine were growing up, I was always lurking in the distance. Enjoy the holiday!

 

 

. . .

15 comments:

  1. Lurking in the distance with out them knowing is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to hear more stories about your relationship with Margaret Hamilton. She was a wonderful actress. Your kids were lucky to have you "lurking in the distance!" I miss Trick or Treating with my boys. Happy Halloween, JJ!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: She was my wife's great Aunt and a wonderful person. Most of that side of the family lived in Ontario, Canada, but we did get to see her at family gatherings. She was also present at our wedding. Great memories, and there was nothing scary about her!

      Delete
  3. Us too. Happy Halloween JJ. Alas no kids come our way. I really miss their giggles over Heath Bars and Reeses's pieces. I miss the Heath bars and Reese's pieces too. No kids, no candy. What a scary night this will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: I get like a kid myself. I have this giant candy bell on the door and when the kids press the button, a horrible loud voice yells, "Go Away!" My wife says I'm a baby. However, I give out about a thousand pounds of candy!

      Delete
  4. I have learned that all the advice in the world, there will always be that one who will not do what u mentioned in your list...or assume it will strike someone else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KBF: Yes, that is what scares me. I am very protective of children. If a parent wants to be naïve, so be it, but they should not place their children in danger.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Miranda: Yes. When the smoke clears, it is all about the children.

      Delete
  6. It is not so much of a tradition here so I would never let kids go alone. They grow out of it at about 12 don't they? Maybe it is okay to have parents at a distance until that age. So long as the parents stay well hidden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: Yes, that is basically how I feel as well.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, no way would my child ever go trick-or-treating alone. He's 2 1/2 right now, so no worries there yet! It is nasty here right now, supposed to be in the thirties tonight w/lots of wind. Poor trick-or-treaters! We're staying snuggly at home- it's a movie night! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leandra: I would think you will do the right thing even when he is 12 1/2. Stay warm.

      Delete
  8. Good advice, JJ.
    I'm also a very cautious mother and like to take all the necessary precautions to keep kids safe.
    Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.