Your Body or Your Mind?





Your Body or Your Mind?




Did you ever notice that what happens to your body determines what happens to your mind? Of course you have. Close your eyes, and you might walk into a wall. Drop something on your foot and it hurts! Eat a Hershey bar and you taste chocolate. Obviously, when something happens to your body, something happens to your mind.

Now, we know there is a connection between your mind and your brain (although I have met a few people who think with different body parts and speak through others). But my somewhat philosophical question has puzzled humans for a long time. Is your mind your brain, or are they separate entities?

I wonder if our thoughts and feelings are separate from the physical processes of our brains, or are they simply part of them. If you were to eat peanut butter while a scientific team looked inside your brain, would the team actually see the taste of the peanut butter, or just the machinations of your physical brain? It appears the experience of tasting the food cannot be seen by observing the physical workings of the mind. They must be separate.

We could go off on a tangent here and discuss the philosophy of materialism, but we want to have some fun too. Nevertheless, humans often ponder whether the mind carries on when the body dies. If they are separate, it would make sense. Materialists believe the mind is just a physical state of the brain, and thus dies when the brain dies. Dualism, on the other hand, is the belief that body and mind are distinct. If we burn wood, it changes chemical properties, but it does not disappear. If we boil water, it evaporates and changes its physical elements, but is not destroyed.

It seems to me there might be more to consciousness than a functioning biological organism. Science has progressed exponentially in a hundred years, but I think it might have ignored the mind along the way.

Comments

  1. Wow this will open a Pandoras box of responses JJ. It's a bit like the chicken & the egg...isn't it?? How can one exist without the other. The mind, I believe exists with the brain, it has to! In order for us to think their must first be a computer running the show...our brain!!
    I will say that the individual mind is very complex & quite unique. We all drive them differently. Conditioning during our upbringing, our life experiences & the health our brain... all effect the way our minds work. We all 'THINK' differently.
    If you asked me if the spirit & the brain were one in the same. I would say no! The spirit, in my belief, lives on well after we die. It is something quite separate from the brain it transcends material limitations.
    And this is just what I 'think' ... have a great day...thanks for the stimulus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine: Understood. I purposely stayed away from spirit and the brain, because I did not want to open Pandora's box too wide. I have no expertise in afterlife, but it would seem to touch upon similar questions to ponder. That's why I posted this tonight. Nobody wants to ponder on Friday night after work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that sort of pondering is usually what hit me in the dark hour during the dark times of my life.

    I still have a fasination with this sort of thing I always enjoy reading the articles in New scientist which cover the mind and the way people think.

    What do I think do we go on when we die who knows but what I do now will go on, my influences on other people, my son and my art I,m happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CJ: I LOVE your philosophy! Family is so important to me, and I appreciate hearing unselfish comments from parents. We are missing that more and more these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following back from www.bargainmom.net!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to "meet" you, not just because you're vegetarian too :). You've got a great blog and I appreciate your writting. It is my pleasure to follow you too. Have a beautiful day and I hope to be hearing from you soon at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bargain Mom: Thank you so much!

    Miriam: You certainly will. Your blog is fantastic! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fascinating. I've never thought of the brain and mind being different from each other. I'll need to think on it some more. I have wondered if a person changes emotionally when they are given another persons heart. I know love doesn't actually come from the heart but it still makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do know that what I do to my body or what food I put into my body greatly affects my mind. I have never been able to eat meat because it immediately fogs my mind. If I eat raw food, my mind seems expanded. Also if I do any form of inner cleanse, it seems to open my mind to feeling the love of the universe and I feel like a better person. If we don't give our body the proper nutrients, we can get a criminal mind. That's my belief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. following you back!!!
    interesting topic I think they must be seperate but then again who am I to decide

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think its all intertwined...When I ruminate over something, I notice how it takes a physical toll on me.. If I stress over a situation, I can literally lose a few pounds from the worrying over an issue.. also, I get a bit of a headache, due to the fact that when I stress I don't eat, thus the little weight loss... I also feel achy..Moods definitely play a huge part on our psyche, they can take over.. that is most likely how depression works?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, dude, I am still migraining. I am just trying to read enough blogs to get my Thursday material together. I can't deal with this today. Couldn't you have written something fluffy that I could follow? I apppreciate your intellectual side. Really. Just.Not.Today. Maybe tomorrow. ((hugs)) Because I know blogging is work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. KB: Love and the heart- great analogy.

    Manzanita: There is also a lot of science behind it. That's why I am a vegetarian.

    Pam: Thank you for following. I'm not sure any of us have the answer, but science is quick to write off what it cannot explain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. KBF: Mind-Body connection. They work well together, but are they actually separate?

    Robin: I don't blame you. This question is a good cure for an aspirin! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Physically they are separate but they are connected w/nerves right?....there is a definite reflex reaction don't u think...

    ReplyDelete
  16. KBF: Yes, connected to the brain. But is the brain the mind?

    ReplyDelete
  17. interesting... doesn't the fact that some people who are revived back to life say that they experienced something when technically their body was dead?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jen: Yeah - the out of body experience. Maybe we should listen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

For Teachers

For Teachers

For Substitute Teachers

For Substitute Teachers

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!