Enjoy the Journey of Life

journey


Enjoy the Journey of Life

As most of my readers know, I am a huge fan of Archetypal Literary Criticism. 

This concept is a little different than what we learn in high school. The formal approach to literature looks at setting, plot, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution in a work of fiction in order to assess and critique its value and character.

The archetypal approach traces commonalities in human behavior that surface in works of fiction, because literature reflects life. 

We all share certain human characteristics and behavioral patterns – simply because we are human. Those archetypes or molds are part of our species. For example, coming of age is a typical pattern we might find in many works of fiction.The most common of these patterns is the heroic quest.

Much of the archetypal approach to literature is derived from the studies of Carl Jung and his theories on the collective unconscious. There are human qualities we inherit and share, much like animals inherit instinct. These patterns can be found in literature, and it is a cool way to read a book and derive more meaning from it.

I leave you with a quote from Carl Jung:

“Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

Comments

  1. I really like this post, JJ. When I was a teacher, I employed 'The Hero's Journey' as adapted by Vogler (Campbell being the originator drawing upon Jungian concepts) for an entire semester of a Creative Writing class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ: That quote holds true.. I have had a few moments and it hit me like a ton of bricks..And you are right, it definitely changed my view point not only w/myself but what was triggering certain feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. i was hooked just reading your intro in the header of your blog!

    following you from i love blogging hop! would love a follow back and say hello
    http://www.bragallboutit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote and how very true it is too! Thanks JJ for sharing. To look into & listen to ones own heart is to find the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To follow what Brag All About It said:

    Don't wait to skydive. Just do it. The guy/gal who is tandem with you wants to stay alive, too. ;) I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suze: I knew you were a teacher! You had to be. Yes, that is exactly what I teach, and that is the subject matter of Surviving the Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KBF: I have been following your blog for quite some time now, and I think you are just terrific. I am very happy to hear that.

    Brag All About It: Thank you very much. I certainly will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kath: Yes, I believe that is the secret.

    A-M: Tandem nothing. When I go, it will be a solo flight. You are a Hemingway hero, but I have not yet run with the bulls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is when a story goes from entertaining or interesting to "hitting you where you live." The message is going right to your soul and you actually vibrate to it. Sometimes there is an answer in there on how to get through it with grace and sometimes not. However, whatever you are feeling, you are not alone. Sometimes that is enough. As you said, the response is a visceral one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Without much background in literature myself, I found this very intriguing. Different kinds of literary criticism. Who knew?! Very intersting. Love the quote at the end--putting that one in my notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Thanks for stopping bye following you back

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear JJ,
    Thanks for this interesting post (another interesting one). And the quote from Carl Jung (that I did not know) is very interesting and make us think about live. Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin: Hmmm. Now you have me thinking.

    Galen: Yes, actually there are many - reader-response, historic, social, feminist, mythological, traditional, psychological, cultural, linguistic, and dozens more.

    Every Day Products: Thank you!

    FanaticoUm: Yes, he does provide interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! Nice quote!
    Wonderful! Keep it coming!
    Life - In order to reach a great height a person needs to have great depth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Tame Lion: Thank you! I am somewhat of a Jung fan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!