Blue, Green, or Gone

220px-RaII_InMuseum
Blue, Green, or Gone

There are many among us who insist on going green. I would venture a guess that quite a few environmentalists worrying about Spaceship Earth are equally embroiled in politics, or simply desire to be politically correct. Yet, whether or not they have a hidden agenda, they also have a point.

When Norwegian explorer of Kon-Tiki fame, Thor Heyerdahl, sailed the Atlantic in 1969 in his Egyptian reed boat named Ra, he noted in his log how much garbage he saw in every part of the ocean. He speculated as to whether all the oceans, connected to each other in one ecosystem, were in fact polluted by man.

Fisheries around the globe have been destroyed. Many beaches have been rendered unusable. Is it possible that our living organism know as Earth’s oceans, which have existed for more than three billion years, could cease to exist due to our recklessness?

The same holds true of the air above us. It, too, comprises a single ecosystem, yet every day we fill the skies with the smoke, ash, and poisonous gases emanating from our burned throwaways. The atmosphere in many parts of the planet is already damaging plant life, and we have no idea what is doing to the human and animal populations. We have only begun to measure the effects of acid rain. And I would hope to see my grandchildren protected from deadly solar rays by a healthy ozone layer, one not eroded by parasitic gases.

I am not a Green Party member, nor am I part of any movement. I make no political statement, and I have nothing to prove. I don’t get involved in conspiracy theories or heavy discussions about global warming that tend to bring down the general mood of guests during festive occasions. But I am a human being living in this part of the universe, and I did admire Thor Heyerdahl. He saw a lot of crap floating in the Atlantic, and that unnerves me.
.

Comments

  1. The more people populate the earth, the more industries grow, the more corporate greed in those industries take short cuts that damage people's lives and our eco-system, the more crap will be floating in the seas, poisoning the earth, and making our air dangerous to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The majority of people trying to "go green," are avid meat eaters. They eat it almost religiously, sometimes 2 and 3 times a day. What they don't realize is that the meat industry is one of the top 3 pollutants on the planet of air, land, and water. What would happen if everyone that ate meat cut down to eating it only a couple of times a week? (which is actually what is recommended anyway for good health)...
    Food for thought :)
    Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usually, I agree with your opinion. But we have to go step by step and not in a radical rush, as there are many indirect issues involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on this, and I try to do what ever I can...our city does a good job of this ...actually all of Minnesota is a place I can be really proud to live in, compared to some other places I've been. It does start with each of us, and if we want to keep living the good life everyone alive needs to start being strong minded in doing what we can......Great post, I'm glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends: I am really excited about your diverse responses. I acknowledge everyone of your comments and find them all consistent with my feelings.

    Greed has much to do with pollution. I am a vegetarian, so I don't contribute via the meat industry. We should not rush into radical solutions that will prove ineffective. Wow! It has been 42 years. I love the beautiful state of Minnesota. And yes, Suze, I like the whole discussion as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JJ
    Did you get on the blogfest? I apologize. It was originated by Alex Cavanaugh. The linky I had on didn't work. I had to be at a meeting in another little town in Montana all day. One of those rush, rush, drive, drive days. Everything always seems to come at once.
    Manzi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do what I can but I ain't givin' up my meat :)

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  8. KB: I do understand.

    Manzi: No, I could not get on. However, I would love to if I still can. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wandered over for Pay It Forward. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JJ, The Linky List is closed to enter but the names (285) are still on my yesterday's blog. Each name lists 3 blogs so that's alotta blogs to read.
    Alex J. Cavanaugh has everything on his blog as he started it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi JJ. :) I too dislike it when environmental issues get politicized. Awareness is important, and it would be nice if we could count on all citizens of Earth to make responsible choices so that government would have no excuse for getting its grubby paws involved.

    Thanks for your fun comments on my Disney posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't forget yesterday was the Pay it Forward blogfest! You can still post your entry today though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Manzi: Thank you. I got on this morning.

    Nicki: My feelings exactly. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    Alex: I had trouble yesterday, but today I entered. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We humans do a lot of damage to this wonderful planet of ours. We really have to shape up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jemi: Yes we do. Thanks so much for following.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love St. Augustine! It's a beautiful little city and your right, Key West is a state of mind. Love the look of your blog too and the topic is right on! I'll definitely be checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Danette: Thanks for following. We head to Key West several times each year. Looking forward to blogging with you. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree. Politics often gets in the way of the fact there are actually problems that need attention.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Point well made. He was an observant man. Not all can see, even when it is obvious. Apparently politicians as well.

    Mr. Ames told me his brother noticed that no one was smoking at the drag races they went to last Friday night. Why he would notice that is amazing to me, considering his brother has never smoked. Maybe he too is an observant man and can see the difference in this world.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do worry about all the rubbish floating around and what we're doing to our planet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ames: Hopefully, man will wake up - and survive.

    Talli: I agree. It's a crime against Nature. Thanks for the follow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble