A Real Pathfinder

200px-James_Fenimore_Cooper_Statue
A Real Pathfinder

My earliest recollections from childhood of reading complete novels transports me back to the Leatherstocking Tales of James Fenimore Cooper.

This early nineteenth century American author was not necessarily the best the New World had to offer, but proved to be the first recognized by literary circles in Europe. I believe his success was largely due to the interest in Native American culture Europeans developed during the pioneer era in the USA.

With adventure tales like The Deerslayer and The Last of the Mohicans, Cooper captivated his readers and thrust them into a lifestyle of resourceful American woodsmen and Delaware Indian culture unheard of on other continents.

I still recall with fond memories the Cowboys and Indians games we played as children, especially since I favored the Huron, or other members of the Iroquois Nation to emulate.

The imaginations of those who have never enjoyed Cooper are in for a treat. There is much to learn about culture, American philosophical thought, and the human condition.
.

Comments

  1. I haven't thought of Cooper in years and years, although my brother was more the one to play cowboys and Indians. My brother has been an avid reader since he was little and played all of your games. I recall his favorite cap was a raccoon with the tail down the back. Ahhh... little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manzi: Ah, yes. Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Fess Parker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imaginations are beautiful things to let run wild. Thank goodness for great storytellers :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eater

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping by to say hello. Have a lovely week, dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miriam: I agree. When I read Cooper, I feel like a kid again. Best to you!

    Dee: You, too, Ms. Dee. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved playing cowboys and indians too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad tells this terrible joke: Why did they have to recall, 'The Last of the Mohicans?'

    Because they found one more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't thought about Cooper in quite a while. I am putting him on my son's reading list!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missed seeing your posts pop up so I had to come and see what's going on in JJ's world...very cool stuff as always. Have a fun weekend, and do be sure to check out my Sepia Saturday this week....it's an American Road trip! Have a great weekend....if you get out of the grape vines...(I just love that song, brings me back too!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Galen: Thank you!

    KB: Great game - especially if you were an Indian!

    Suze: I will repeat it a hundred times because I have a similar sense of humor, but don't quit your day job! Thanks.

    Judie: Last of the Mohicans would be a terrific one.

    Karen: Thank you. I will definitely visit Sepia Saturday. It is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whitesnake: The movie was excellent, but the book allows you to use your imagination. Of course, when I read it, I was Hawkeye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble