White Crane Spreads Its Wings

tai
White Crane Spreads Its Wings

Seen through the eyes of Westerners, the ancient Chinese art of Tai Chi, which has gained popularity in the USA in the 21st century, appears to conjure up the image of an elderly person seeking gentle exercise, rather than the training regimen of a highly skilled martial arts practitioner. Don’t be fooled! Tai Chi is empowering, and the benefits are enormous, especially in the areas of stress reduction and overall physical fitness.

While I favor the Yang school, any of the numerous styles are easy to enjoy for beginners. Students quickly begin to experience stress reduction as one’s nervous system learns not to trigger inappropriate “fight or flight” responses so common in tense daily life. Aggravation on the job, difficulties with home life, and unwanted pressures we all confront regularly seem to disappear in no time at all. Minds and bodies train effortlessly to deal with subconscious factors that tend to overwhelm. People feel more grounded, better able to cope with the chaos of the world.

Tai Chi keeps us in harmony, lifts the spirit, and makes us happier, more confident people.  If you are looking for an effective, enjoyable method of maintaining or regaining a higher level of physical fitness, without breaking your pocketbook or your bones, give it a try. It is not a new fad.
.

Comments

  1. FanaticoUm: Yes. One would not think such strength and endurance could result from those graceful, ballet-like movements. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is most certainly not a new fad. An interesting post topic, as always, JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suze: Thank you. I know so many people that make excuses for not attaining better health and physical fitness levels. This ancient plan is easy, effective, and valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to learn Tai Chi!! I took 1 lesson of it in college 14 years ago and I loved it. I'll start looking for it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a past ballerina, I must admit this does sound like it would deliver similar benefits. Maybe I'll check it out. Lately, I'm into belly dance!
    BTW, no worries on letting things get to me. I was just venting and blogging in a sort of journal manner. It's good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning JJ, i used to do Tai chi many years ago it is very good for your personnal well being but i have to say i found it very hard to remember all the moves once away from the group. Thank you for your lovely comment on my last post and thank you for your continued support. Take lots of care, dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree, JJ. Practising Tai Chi is a wonderful way of being in the moment. It definitely got me through my first set of exams at university: my friends and I had been taking lessons for a while, and we went to the park every morning and evening for a half-hour session. I'd never felt so relaxed and mentally strong in my life.

    Actually, I think you've just inspired me to give it another try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was told my a kung fu master that tai chi is kung fu practiced slowly. That kings and queens would practice tai chi to learn fighting moves. However, the fighting moves are done slowly in order to allow them to NOT sweat. Not sweating was a requirement because the of the expensive and elaborate clothing worn by kings and queens.

    Tai chi is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was excited to see this post because I began practicing tai chi last summer. For me, it is not only a physical and mental exercise, but it is also a spiritual/meditative practice. I am enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was first married, I often cycled to work. My route took me past an apartment building where an older gentleman happened to be doing Tai Chi at the same time every morning. I'd always slow down to watch, and he'd always nod with a small smile of appreciation.

    We never actually spoke. But I hope he realized - then and now - how important it was for me to have that touchstone every day. Definitely a wonderful way to start the day, and a wonderful inspiration for others to do the same in whatever form makes the most sense to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JJ, how often do you participate in Tai Chi each week? Is it a daily thing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miriam: It is well worth it.

    'Yellow Rose' Jasmine: On the venting, I do worry about my friends. As for Tai Chi, the movements are close to ballet routines - and I have never seen an out-of-shape ballerina.

    Dee: That is true. I have been a lifetime martial artist, so the movements come very easily to me. My discipline was that of the Tiger, so the graceful steps are natural to me.

    KC: That would make me very happy. The hardest part is consistency. Life gets in the way for many people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A-M: Tai Chi is awesome! Your description is perfect.

    Galen: Exactly! It is very spiritual and very uplifting.

    Carmi: Yes. There are many ways to achieve similar results. I would hope more and more people at least do something to nurture their good health.

    Judie: Yes, it is daily for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. KB: Glad to hear it. It is a terrific way to get/stay in shape.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble