Positivity

positivity

Positivity

Make no mistake about it. I love positivity. In my personal life, I refuse to admit negativity. I teach optimism. I preach optimism. I try to live optimistically.

Yet, I do appreciate the fact that optimism alone will not get us from point A to point B. We must do more.

I am reminded of that movie, Independence Day. There was a scene where a young girl, quite naïve, climbed to the top of a skyscraper, smiled broadly, and raised her hands in the air as she welcomed the space creatures to Earth – just before she got zapped by a deadly ray from the Mother Ship. We must do more than wish.

The following are the most popular definitions of optimism found on the Internet:

1. disposed to take a favorable view of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2. a doctrine that this world is the best possible world.

3. an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome.

4. hopefulness and confidence about the future or successful outcome of something; a tendency to take a favorable or hopeful view

5. usually expecting a favorable outcome

While these definitions are nice, they don’t seem to hold the key to success and happiness for most people from a practical perspective. It sure is healthier to be positive, rather than negative, but is that the key to success and happiness?

I have my personal philosophy, which has always worked for me (See My Other Blog).  What is yours?
.

Comments

  1. I don't expect the world to change but I won't ever give up trying to make a difference. That is my philosophy!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol: Well, I think that is the key. We must keep trying. We cannot sit there with our positive thoughts and wait for all that goodness to fall from the sky. It is up to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like I'm more negative in my thoughts and attitude when I'm fatigued, but otherwise I'm usually grateful for what I have and just try to continue forward when things are rough, realizing that it can always be much worse. Making an effort to be positive and act on it does make a difference in our lives, I believe. And most of us don't enjoy being around negative people, who seem to bring us down. Who needs that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the phrases "do your best," and "roll with the punches."
    :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being happy comes from within, being positive in life and excepting the things we can not change also will make a huge difference to being happy in life. That is how i live mine and im always in a good place even with the negative things life throughs at me, you just have to throw it back and turn it into positives. Hope that makes sense its been a long day ;-)) dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is 'hope for the best, be prepared for shit. :D X

    ReplyDelete
  7. LynNerdKelley: I agree. Making that effort and acting on it seems to be the key. Also, you are right. Being around negative people can be a drag.

    Miriam: Good advice. It's the "do your best" part that people forget.

    Dee: The key is "turn it into positives."

    Shah: What happens when it rains on your parade? Do you simply get wet, or start planting trees?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of the joke about the two boys, one an optimist and one a pessimist. The pessimist was put in a room full of new toys. The optimist was put in a room full of manure. After awhile, the pessimist was just sitting there. He said he wouldn't bother to play with the toys because they would just break. The pessimist was found digging in the manure and laughing. When questioned, he said, "There must be a pony in here somewhere!"

    As for my personal philosophy, I've always loved the saying, "When you're getting run out of town, get in front and make it look like a parade."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Galen: My father-in-law told that story for years. I thought he was the only one in the world who knew it. He was a huge optimist, and I was very fortunate to have known him in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although sometimes change for better seems difficult or even impossible, we should always fight for the best we can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FanaticoUm: That is the key to long-term success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always try to be optmistic, and sometimes it pays off. On Sunday night, I told the artists in our show that I was going to stay open until an event in the hotel lobby was finished. Many of the artists packed up and went home at 5, but I managed to convince four or five to stick with me, and they were glad they did. After the event, a whole crowd of people came into the exhibit and bought art!!! Never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful film clip, JJ. Great follow-up on your Positivity post. Never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judie: Exactly! That's the point. So many people do not realize that those big dips in the road constitute life. It is not all roses, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I try to live with an outlook of optimism...life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. melody-mae: It is fabulous! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!