The Snows of Kilimanjaro


 












This Ernest Hemingway short story happens to be one of my favorites.

The tale centers around a main character named Harry, who receives a cut on his leg while on a hunting safari in East Africa with his wife, Helen. It seems our protagonist neglects to disinfect the minor wound, which leads to gangrene.

As Harry lies ill while awaiting a plane from Nairobi, Kenya to transport him to a hospital, he begins a series of flashbacks on his life. Anything more, and I will spoil the story.

I can say, however, that every time I read Snows, I come away with different feelings about my own life. It is well worth the read.

The Snows of Kilimanjaro was made into a movie production in 1952 starring Gregory Peck, Susan Hayward, and Ava Gardner.

.

Comments

  1. Sadly I've never read the book, but you have given me the urge to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen: It's a short story well worth reading. It makes one contemplate life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of my favorites and I saw the film, as well. Gregory Peck was the most handsome man ever. He had an incomparable aura.
    You're exactly right. it makes one contemplate life. I like Hemingways short stories even more than his novels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lotus-eater: I agree. Hemingway's short stories are superb. Today, most people read only his novels, which I also love. However, some of his short stories are classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how our own inner growth can be measured by reading the same book over and over again. For you the book seems to be The Snows, Coelho's Alchemist works the same way for me. Things we learn about ourselves..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ritva: Thanks for the insight. I will read Coelho's Alchemist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued for sure... BTW, my read over and over is Johnathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jasmine: I have lived my entire life as an escape from the "meaningless." Keep reading JLS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble