Mount Dora: A Follow-Up


001

Recently, my wife and I returned from a terrific trip right here in Florida.

On the first leg of our journey, we stayed in the quaint town of Mount Dora, about which I wrote on my other blog,
 
                            The Disconnected Traveler.

I’m no photographer, but I just downloaded some pictures and I thought I would do a little follow-up.

The first picture above is the historic Inn that we booked during our time in Mount Dora. Below is another view of the inn from the boat dock on Lake Dora.

006

From this dock, we launched our kayaks, but little did we know the lake was loaded with alligators. There was not one sign warning people, and my wife was less than thrilled.

We guessed at the length of some gators we saw and agreed that too many of them were in the ten to twelve-foot range for the lake to be considered safe water. If you look carefully, at the next photo, you can see the eyes of a six-footer staring at us. We are pretty accurate on the size of this one because when we returned to the inn, he was resting comfortably on the beach and blocked our exit from the kayaks.

028

In the next photo, you might be able to make out the shape of some of the larger reptiles in the distance. Next time, I will be better prepared with the camera. I was more focused on making sure my wife didn’t fall out of the kayak.

 031
 
All in all, we had a fabulous time. I’m just glad we decided to kayak and not swim.

.
 
 
...

Comments

  1. I think it is safe to say that you make every activity into an adventure! Glad you made it out alive:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin: I'm just a victim of circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing where you've been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KB: The world is full of wonder, and seeing as much of it as I can has always been a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey! That was a close one... goodness, I'm glad this was not your last adventure. Your wife is very patient indeed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Yellow Rose' Jasmine: I would suggest that if it were not for my wife, I would have provided a nice meal for the wild animal population long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics -not the Florida I think of!

    ReplyDelete
  8. helen: Too many gators, or too nice an inn?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't swim so it's not an issue for me but I am always concerned that people think it's safe to swimm in our lakes and rivers or even let their childen walk the banks. If the gators don't get you there's always the potential of coming in contact with a bacteria or an amoeba. A local high school girl died from an amoeba after swimming in the St. Johns River.

    Glad you both weren't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! I feel I'm right there when I see them. What an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ames: I don't blame you at all. I avoid swimming in our lakes as well. the bacteria bothers me more than the gators. Like all animals, you are fine if you understand gators and respect them. One must enter their world with humility.

    Julia: God, I love adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hah! Kayaking with 6 foot gators, "that's one to tell the folks at home" while I enjoy watching them I don't believe I'd want to be in the water with them. The photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CailinMarie: They are scary, especially when you are in their territory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!