She Kept Having Kids, So I Would Have Playmates

raft

The river in Northern Vermont was definitely a little much to handle, but I always wanted to give it a shot.

One day, we received a phone call advising us that we had won a raft in a raffle. I had forgotten I even entered the contest. While mailing a letter, I gave a dollar to some kid who was pushing some good cause, and never even bothered to read the fine print.

Indeed, we won! The raft was delivered to our home in New Hampshire, and it proved to be a high-quality design still sold today. I was thrilled. Immediately, thoughts of running the rapids in that Vermont river became my obsession. I couldn’t wait.

When my plans were complete, Carol informed me that she wanted to pass on the maiden voyage in favor of two of our kids, both teens at the time.

On the first run, I took my oldest daughter, who was capable of handling a canoe as well as anyone. My wife waited for us a few miles downstream at a covered bridge that spanned the river.

The ride was fantastic! The river gave us as much as we could handle. It had stormed the day before, so the rapids had risen the level of difficulty considerably.

On the second run, my son and I did not fare as well. The ride was great until we hit a giant, pointed rock head-on. The right side of the raft popped like a balloon, and we went flying. After about a quarter mile, we managed to make it to shore.

By the time the raft floated, in pieces, under the bridge where my wife and daughter awaited our return, I could only imagine what they must have been thinking. Nevertheless, we made it back safely after a long wet walk along the shoreline and through the woods. Of course, we were greeted warmly by our relieved family members.

Carol never talked much about that incident, until today. While we were reminiscing this afternoon over past adventures, she prompted this post when she told me, “I kept having kids, so you would have playmates.

I wonder what she meant by that.

.

...

Comments

  1. Wise woman u married!. BTW didn't you know a woman's first child IS her hubby? Hubbies are our test child! LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KBF: No, I did not know that. Either I passed the test, or she simply never liked rapids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, you can be a real handful, can't you?! I wonder how many near misses you've had. I'll bet you've lost count!
    Your wife is smart to pick and choose which adventures she joins you on. And with the kids there for you to play with, then the risk is spread out more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a mother, and a wife, I completely get it! So happy you boys made it back! ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jasmine: Guilty! I have been a tiny challenge. However, we all made it (even me, luckily), and we continue to have unusual adventures as we plow through life. I guess it beats sitting around worrying about the small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left you a big ol' reply over at my blog on the comment you left. Seems you are brave in many ways!

      Delete
    2. Jasmine: I'll check it out.

      Delete
  6. Karen: I suppose, metaphorically speaking, I missed the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOLOLOLOL. I can just hear her saying that. I can barely remain upright. People come in all varieties - and thank goodness. You, my friend, are set on full throttle all of the time. Most people are just not set like that and would burn out if they tried to keep up with you. Carol is/was smart enough to know that she better set you up with some playmates to spread the joy around and keep you entertained. THAT is what she meant by that!!!! She loves you and wanted you happy, but was smart enough not to burn herself out and up in the process. She is a very smart woman. You both married very wisely:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin: Since you met both of us, I suppose you are in a good position to render an opinion. Yes, she is smart, and I am always set at full throttle. We were married three years before I realized it!

    I think I lucked out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If someone tells you something is free, just remember that there is always a catch--and you hit it!

    Great story, JJ. Since I know Carol, I can actually hear her saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judie: What do you mean? It cost me a dollar.

    How is the move going? Need anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I need is to get my stuff where it is the most comfortable. After 14 years in one place, that's not an easy task. We had a well dug this week, to water our lawn and wash the cars, etc. I think it's cool to have a well!!

      I am venturing out a little bit, but mostly I'm sticking close to home. Oh, but I am going crabbing over the weekend. It's something I haven't done since I was a child.

      When I feel comfortable to get out more, I will email you and Carol, and we will have a crab boil one weekend.

      Oh, and about my post....I did respond to your comment. Hahahaha!!!

      Delete
    2. Judie: We would love a crab boil! Good luck with the new- house headaches, and if you do need anything, let me know.

      I'll check out your post. You are a card.

      Delete
    3. JJ, I responded to your latest comment on my post, and gave you some additional information.

      Delete
  11. Alright, that's just scary. Lol

    I can see why you need the playmates, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda: Everyone seems to agree. It will not deter me, but everyone seems to agree.

      Delete
  12. Hi JJ! I think your wife is a very wise woman...and busy too with all those kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki: She is wise, but I think she sent a couple of them down the river with me just to catch a break.

      Delete
  13. LOL!
    It must be great to be married to such a wise woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanático_Um: There is no doubt there is much wisdom in my family. How it is distributed is the subject of debate.

      Delete
  14. Now that was funny. Sorry about the raft tho. That could have been the beginning of many years of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!