Am I Asking Too Much?



shark

Lately, since I am teaching less, I am writing more. This is a bonus for me, but when I write a lot, the tendency is for my mind to slip into adventure land.

Because of my love for the outdoors, I try to live out my dreams as much as humanly possible, and I realize that sometimes that makes it difficult for my family. My wife puts up with a great deal, and she is a terrific sport. Nevertheless, the more she accompanies me on my wacky trips, the more she comments about the calm, peaceful existence that is also a nice experience.

Nice is not my thing. I like the thrill of the adventure. Years ago, we fished the Gulf of Mexico every chance we got, and we both enjoyed the experience. My wife caught grouper, kingfish, marlin, and other species, and did so as well as the other guys. Until one particular day, that is.

She agreed to charter a boat out of Tampa in search of big game fish. I got all psyched up and picked a terrific vessel, and spent the entire week preparing my gear. We flew down to Tampa from New Hampshire, and when we arrived at the fishing boat, the captain gave us the first-hand tour and some preliminary instructions. Carol was unaware we were seeking large shark.

The straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back was the captain’s explanation about the proper way to get strapped into the seat and deal with 1000 pound test wire line. My wife got up, politely said “Thank you very much,” and exited the vessel. I thought I handled it quite well. We went red snapper fishing instead.

I can’t complain because my bride has traveled many a wild road with me and my crazy passion for adventure. She has gone on a few excursions that my male friends passed up. I have been on a real kick lately, finding myself dreaming about new travel experiences, most of them, I readily admit, a little too unrealistic. Thus, we have been trying all summer to find just the right journey that will keep us talking and me writing for another decade.

I can enjoy a posh hotel in Europe and a glass of Brunello di Montalcino. But once in a while, a safari is “nice.”

Am I asking too much?

.
...


Comments

  1. I don't think u are asking too much.. I do think your wife knows you well and she knows your love for adventure.. tho I think the shark hunting was a complete, unexpected, out of the box idea!. You topped her on what she thought she thought your idea of 'excitement' is... Frankly, I like the spice of your adventure! At least there is never a dull moment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend! You are right. Never a dull moment.

      Delete
  2. I think a safari would be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing wrong with taking turns or occasionally taking separate vacations. I was very adventurous in my youth, but these days my adventures are more of the inner variety! And by the way, safaris can be very comfortable--my sister and her husband went on one and each had their travel preferences met perfectly. A good compromise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galen: I would rather eat glass. Without my wife, it is not a vacation. I am also happy to reveal that she feels the same way. We always compromise. If we didn't, I would be riding an elephant right now!

      Delete
  4. I have faith that you will find something that suits you both. Sometimes half the fun is the getting there. It is kind of like Christmas. All that anticipation. The discussion. What would the other appreciate most. In some ways, you get to live every vacation in your head that you DON'T take because Carol wouldn't enjoy it. Those are fun, too. And I know you have a very active imagination, so that isn't an entirely crazy notion. But the sifting and sorting and trying them out in your mind together.... well, isn't that all part of the adventure?

    It's kind of like that adage about weddings... all couples actually get married before they say "I do." It is all in the coming together. The ceremony is merely the announcement for everyone else. Your actual vacation will merely be you living out the adventure in real life that you decided was most fun in your heads. Obviously, with surprises. That's what makes it an adventure.

    Now, did that make any sense at all or merely qualify me for a room at the nearest psychiatric facility? (BTW, awesome shark story. Carol is fast becoming my hero. Make that heroine. Please tell her I said so:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin: You can still feel free to check into the facility, but I thank you for your clear, accurate comments. My wife is a heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe you're asking too much. As long as you both get to enjoy activities you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Half the fun is participating in activities together.

      Delete
  7. Thank goodness you don't call your wife a cheap date like my husband calls me. My brother -in-law trains for 6 months in advance to go off every year and do hard physical trips with his buddies. He's wife doesn't mind because it's "Girls Week" while he's away.

    I think your wife is a good sport and supports your dreams most of the time, as you said. I also think what you wrote up above is a good memory. So no it's not to much to ask. Maybe she has an adventure in mind and you could fulfill hers by graciously going along. Who knows maybe it will be a "Girls Week" like the one we had at Savanna on a Paula Dean excursion. My hubby was the only man and boy was he spoiled.
    Just enjoy the moments.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ames: All men are alike. He made believe he was a good sport and loved the attention of the ladies, but he really went for the food!

      Delete
  8. Ames: All men are alike. He made believe he was a good sport and loved the attention of the ladies, but he really went for the food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wife knows you well and seems comfortable letting you know when something really is 'too much' for her! You seem willing to compromise when necessary and that's all she can ask for.
    My husband and I agree- there is no vacation apart!
    May you find more things that you agree on doing in the future for your next adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!