Repúbluca Federativa do Brasil


 


Although I love getting my college Humanities students excited by telling them how I have traveled through most of South America, it is not true. I have never visited Brazil, which is half the continent. We are looking into a cruise next spring that will take us to Buenos Aires, Argentina, Montevideo, Uruguay, and four ports in Brazil to be determined.

Brazil is the fifth largest country in the world, with a population of nearly 200 million people. I don’t know much about it, but I am doing some research as I get time.

Years ago, I did some graduate work on Brazilian philosopher, Paolo Freire, best known for his book, Pedagogy of the Oppressed. Freire theorized on ways to educate masses of poverty-stricken people in his country and throughout South America. In any event, I became interested in the culture, but never had the opportunity to check it out first hand.

Brazil is comprised of massive forests totaling nearly 3.5 million square miles. The nation shares its borders with every South American country except Ecuador and Chile.

This is a country of adventure, with diverse cultures and ethnicities, which add to its fascination. I don’t think I desire to canoe the Amazon, but there are other, safer, intriguing sections of the land to explore, probably in the cities.

One must be somewhat careful, which is why we have chosen the cruise route for a visit. I had an interest in fishing the beautiful Lake Paranoa, until I discovered the poor sanitary conditions in so much of the area, and accessibility only by small planes. The country also has the highest automobile highway death rate in the world.
  
I am told that in the larger cities the restaurants are magnificent and the food excellently prepared, with plenty of fresh vegetables for those among us who are non-meat eaters.

If any of you have visited Brazil, I would love to get some feedback, pro or con.

.
 

 
 
 
 

 

Comments

  1. Like you, I have been in other parts of South America, but not Brazil. I had a boyfriend from Brazil once--does that count? No, I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it counts, but it's closer than I got.

      BTW, the review is coming. Talk to you soon.

      Delete
  2. Sorry. All I know about Brazil is it's capitol, Rio de Janeiro, is the Mecca for people seeking the best in plastic surgery. It's also pictured in some very good movies, the names of which escape me at the moment. You'll have a great time; and in the process, will make an honest man of yourself for your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid, Rio was the capital. Now it's Brasilia. Of course, there were also many countries that no longer exit as well.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, can't help, but I do enjoy this song so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why, but I thought you went there. Oh well. If I go, I'll take pictures.

      Delete
  4. Hi JJ - it'll be interesting to hear about your cruise - I'd love to see Brazil someday. We're going to hear so much more about it - and see more .. as the World Cup (Football) will be held in Brazil in 2014 - we'll find out more, then the Olympics in 2016.

    I remember Brasilia being built - its history is fascinating to read about and it's another place I'd love to visit ..

    Cheers - enjoy your research .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your trip. If you need information about Argentina e-mail me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i am sure it is a very interesting cruise visit. I have a friend in Sao Paulo and he sometimes got scared of their airlines too, so sometimes avoid travels. I smiled when you said you impressed your students with your stories about it, which you haven't done yet! And thanks for being a follower of my blogsite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!