A New Utopia?


1789

Now that all the hustle and bustle of the election is over, it would be a great idea to get in a little relaxation time, perhaps even a place to get away from it all. I came up with a great plan, and I would love to run it by you.

I discovered an opportunity to acquire land upon which we could exercise the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that we all crave. The problem is the land is somewhat untamed. There are no roads, pastures, fields, or homes, but an overabundance of natural resources and numerous wild horses we could use to carve out a very nice world for ourselves. Unfortunately, such a Utopia would require back-breaking effort, but I would love to be part of the process, where we can make our own way and decide what to do with our own lives.

I am undeterred by the daunting task, and I would be enthusiastically willing to relocate full time. I thought we might be able to divide up the land into small plots and sell them to anyone interested in the project.

I do understand that we would have to begin with the disadvantage of a small amount of capital and the encumbrance of family members not necessarily as gung ho about relocating. However, the idea of making something for ourselves from Nature makes me passionate about working hard in order to achieve that end goal.

One difficulty I foresee is that most of us would be hundreds of miles from home, without bread, meat, or food of any kind. Initially, it would be necessary to use fire and fishing tackle as our only means of subsistence, but think of the eventual rewards. We could catch trout in the brooks, and roast them on ashes. Our horses could feed on the grasses that grow by the edge of the waters.

Personally, I would love to sleep at night with wilderness around me, but I know I don’t speak for everyone. We could, however, explore the country, form plans of future settlement, and set up a place of trade amongst ourselves. Eventually, with much effort, we could establish a small community as our own Utopia.

I can only begin to imagine the extent to which we would be able to help one another. Some among us would undoubtedly be discouraged, having no means of clearing more than a small spot for himself or herself in the midst of the thick woods on this property, but I figure they can help me in some way, and I will return the favor. I’ve never domesticated a wild horse. That would surely be worth a great deal to me.

I can’t grow a thing, but some of you can grow just about anything. Perhaps, some of you could erect a storehouse and fill it with large quantities of grain, and we would all gladly purchase some from you. I’m certain if I helped you, you would be willing to extend me credit for a quantity of sugar. Hopefully, someone could care for my horses. If you are willing, I’d happily clear some land for you. By the way, I am a terrific fisherman, so if you happen to be a doctor, I would gladly keep you supplied with fresh seafood in return for medical treatment, if necessary. In time, we might even be able to establish our own currency to make our transactions smoother.

In any event, I am thinking that it might be hard work building our homes on this land, but look what awaits us down the road. We could relax and enjoy the fruits of our efforts. We could agree on some guidelines to make sure we stay on the same page. We could also memorialize the rules of our new community, and leave the rules in place to guide our children.

I’m dreaming, but who knows. In time, there might be thousands of us. We might build schools, churches, meetinghouses, roads, bridges, and even a town. But it will be ours, if it works.

Oops. They already tried that and called it America. It didn’t work very well after they changed the rules. I guess our kids will have to make new rules.

John F. Kennedy

Inaugural Address
Friday, January 20, 1961
“And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.”
...

Comments

  1. As I read about your dreams of making a new utopia I didn't know whether to cheer or cry. It sounds so romantic and hopeful...and SO much work! I happen to live in a semi-remote area of north Vancouver Island. There is a small community and we only have two acres but grow some of our own food, have more than enough wood to burn in our very efficient wood-burning stove (it heats the whole 2000 sq. ft of this 1970's boxy house), water coming straight off our forested mountain into our taps, and lots of independence. We are vegan and commune with the animals up here whenever possible. Not far from the ocean. Many around here do not have our viewpoint; many "redneck" types who would as soon shoot stuff as just look at it and enjoy it. Keeping everyone on the same track isn't possible - people in the same family don't seem able to do it either. We do our best. We work pretty hard up here (especially my husband) but I built my dream art studio (and what an enormous effort THAT was)! and I have much to be grateful for. Still I feel sad about the future, for the whole planet. It is hard sometimes to keep a balanced outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: I understand and agree. We lived most of our adult lives in New Hampshire, where we gave virtual sacntuary to bear, moose, deer, and other animals with whom we co-existed. It is a shame that so many people believe they cannot fend for themselves. It does a soul good to give it a try.

      Delete
    2. You romantic guys! While we're at it why not go back to the caves? I don't want to. I am where I am and I got here after losing everything. I am an American, fully capable of building and rebuilding. I am amazed at our technology, our medical advances, our accomplishments. I am grateful. This is silly talk from someone who was enabled by a guy who was able to give him advantages via funds raised from bootlegging. We're dealt a hand. Play it is the only choice. Why should we retreat to the woods?

      Delete
    3. Linda: It's not me I'm worried about. It's our brainwashed kids.

      Delete
  2. This was hopeful followed directly by crushing. Yes, it is up to the kids now. I hope that they are up to the task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: They will learn to cope in between looking for jobs. College graduates working minimum wage positions is a frightening concept. Rich is bad. Work harder for less. That's the new American Dream. We are rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

      Delete
  3. Your posting perfectly encapsulates what is going on in America today. What I'm about to say may be a seriously controversial comment. However, it is a real concern of mine. It seems that one major reason that the kids of today don't understand that it's not just great to demand free stuff instead of demanding freedom is that many of them come from families of immigrants who have not explained well to these kids why they left their homeland in the first place. If you are born here and are not aware of history there is a problem, no matter where your ancestors hail from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine: Most of us came from immigrant families, but the government used to foster hard work to get ahead. Now, it promotes dependency. It is not fair to lie to the youth of America. America is an idea. It is not about where you are from, but what you believe.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!