In Love With Erin


erin

Years ago, I was doing some graduate work for a thesis on Ernest Hemingway. I decided to mix business with pleasure by researching my subject at the Trinity College library in Dublin, Ireland.

The Emerald Isle became one of my favorite places to visit in my lifetime, and I thought it would be fun to share some images taken from one of our travel albums.

1


As I scanned in some photos and images, I took myself on a pictorial memory journey.

2


Ireland boasts spectacular scenery and castles at every turn.

3


4

Seeing the old thatch-roofed homes for the first time was a treat I’ll never forget, and of course, we did not limit our journey to sightseeing.

5
 

6


7
 
 
One of the most fascinating sites were castles and old ruins just sitting on the side of rural roadways to be explored and enjoyed by travelers. And in the larger cities, some of the world’s most impressive structures and magnificent landscapes seem to be everywhere.
 
8
 
 
In Dublin, the Temple Bar area is quite touristy, but a must-see section of the country to get the full range of diversity the island nation has to offer.
 
9
 
 
My wife and I were impressed with all our accommodations during our stay. Not only were the B&Bs comfortable, but the resident owners in each place we visited became friends with whom we still communicate.
 
10
 
 
If Ireland is not the friendliest place on the planet, you would have to prove it to me. We have been back several times, and each time is better than the last.
 
I am absolutely shocked at the number of Irish Americans who have told me over the years that they have never visited the old country.
 
 
This week on the Disconnected Traveler:
 
 

Comments

  1. Lovely pictures! I can't wait to visit Ireland. The landscapes are enchanting. They are beautiful and nostalgic. Just like James Joyce's and Edna O'Brien's writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia: I have traveled Europe extensively, and most of it is beautiful, but Ireland is second to none. It is a slice of Heaven.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you JJ, but not fully. Ireland is one of the friendliest countries in Europe, indeed, but if you go south, you find others where people is very warm and friendly, such as Portugal (my homeland), Spain and Italy. And you know I am an unconditional admirer of your country, the USA, which I include among the best places on earth to be (and, I imagine, to live). Fortunately I have had the chance to go there several times and I hope I can go on having this privilege. And the more I go, the more I like it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanático_Um: Understood. The ones you mentioned are particularly friendly. I have been to Italy and Spain several times, and Portugal only once, but I loved the experiences and the people were quite friendly. Getting to know the people is one of the great travel experiences.

      Delete
  3. Oh what an amazing trip that must've been! I have never been but would certainly love to. I have my great great grandmother's hand blown Irish whiskey glass that she brought on the boat with her when she came to America :-) Rumor has it she took a shot of whiskey every night before bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa: Thanks for responding. I know I will return. It is a beautiful country.

      Delete
  4. wow!! lucky you! i would love to get to ireland one day. i've seen so many beautiful photos of it and i'm irish on my dad's mother's side...i've got little red headed twins to prove it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya: Thanks for joining. It is amazing how many people of Irish descent have not visited. Once you go, you will wonder why you never did before. It is beautiful. Get there, and bring the twins!

      Delete
  5. My son and daughter-in-law went to Ireland for their honeymoon and loved it. They want to go back again. I'd love to see Ireland. It looks gorgeous and so rich with fascinating history. That's so cool that you've remained friends with the owners of the B&Bs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn: It is nearly impossible to travel Ireland without making, and keeping, new friends.

      Delete
  6. Ireland!! I would so love to go there some day...when I don't know, but someday. You know JJ, my maiden name was Kerrigan, very Irish hey! I love your photos. Beautiful memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!