On Boston


rome


Disgusted with the news about the Boston Marathon bombings?

Remember the scene in the movie Independence Day, when the girl went to the top of the building, where the alien invasion ship was hovering, and with welcoming open arms, she smiled just before she got zapped by the death ray? Did you expect it? Did you think the space creatures would look down at the poor Earthling, hand her a book containing a cure for cancer, and leave for their home planet? I didn’t.

As a student of history, I see the world through a different lens. History is far from a series of events on a timeline. It is a living, breathing organism containing life of many varieties, even human. The patterns of societies in history are real. To Pie-in-the-Sky thinkers, the horrific events in Boston yesterday were shocking. The Pie People look around to assess blame, primarily because they find studying history useless. They are unable to cope with the growing seed they planted. To the rest of us, these terrorist acts are now expected.

I don’t suggest we blame Hitler’s mother for his atrocities. I do, however, see the connection between historical forces and the tragic losses our nation suffered at the Marathon. Perhaps we can blame the first misguided soul that burned our nation’s flag in protest in the 1960s. Better yet, let’s blame the activist court that decided his act was one of freedom of “expression,” a term not found in the First Amendment.

Quite frankly, this is what happens historically when societies fail to balance civil liberties with common sense. Nowhere can we find in rational historical thought the concept that freedom means the right to do whatever one wants, whenever one wants, to whomever one wants. The Pie People should feel silly and responsible. They created illogical theories like open borders. If we cannot understand the difference between deporting an immigrant who entered the country illegally, married, raised and educated wonderful children, and contributed to the betterment of American life from a plan to let everyone in because “we are the world,” our freedom will collapse like a house of cards.

Back in the ‘60s, the Pie People thought it was a good idea to free Ernesto Miranda, who raped a mentally retarded woman, because a cop did not tell him he had the right to be silent. They did not consider the impact. Where was the outrage over the victim’s deprivation of a basic right?

You cannot defeat the most powerful nation on Earth with a frontal assault. The only way to bring it down is from within. The Ancient Greeks learned the hard way. So did the Romans. Their society of laws lasted a thousand years. Ours lasted barely two-hundred when the ideologues planted their seeds. Our borders could not be penetrated militarily, so they infiltrated our institutions. Colleges were the first to taste the poison. The Pie People became professors in our finest academic institutions. Now, domestic terrorists from fifty years ago are teaching our kids the art of destruction in the name of freedom. High school children are taught mottos like competition saps motivation.  

America can be saved, but sadly, it will take a change of attitude most citizens can’t handle – yet. We would need to alter the scope of our freedom, much like the Israelis have done to thwart terrorist attacks. Board a plane in Tel Aviv or hop on a bus in downtown Jerusalem and see if it has the same feel as a San Francisco trolley. It doesn’t. People in that society were forced to relinquish civil liberties to protect their loved ones.

The United States of America was never about a place. It was never about the land. It was never about control or regulations. It was an idea. Imagine a place where people were free to practice their faith. Imagine a land where a hard-working individual could earn a better quality of life. Imagine a nation where victims had superior rights to criminals. We had such a place, but the Pie People sought a different direction. They chased shooting stars. It simply does not work. A nation cannot be improved by killing the healthy chicken to make soup for the sick chicken.

To those Pi People concerned that our kids might not get a good education without free condoms; to those quick to disarm their law abiding neighbors; to those seeking open American borders, soccer fields for incarcerated murderers, and more government regulations imposed upon its defenseless citizens, I say, “What did you expect?”

. . .

Comments

  1. I agree wiith all your premesis. Well said. In the case of these external religious murdering fanatics, I don't think we can blame the pie people, except for not allowing more stringent anti-terror measures. In time of war, some freedoms need to be temporarily sidelined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh: I absolutely agree. There is no one cause for our troubles. We must begin to change to a reasonable course of action to preserve our freedoms. We do need more stringent anti-terror measures, without the severe penalty of rehabilitation.

      Delete
  2. With an ache in my heart I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: Your comment speaks volumes.

      Delete
  3. As one who is just about as disgusted with the 'pie people' as I am the terrorists, I can see that it is probably already too late. I grew up surrounded by 'pie people' and yet I could see that their ideals would never work. Somehow I escaped the effects of public school liberal indoctrination and living inside a nightmarish family. My inner truth could not be squelched. For those of us who are aware of what it will take to regain the freedoms that we have already lost, the only question is when will those who truly desire this decide it is time to have their own place to start over, adhering to undeniable truths rather than wishing on shooting stars as we lose our very foundations?
    JJ, I thank you for having the courage to face up to reality so quickly and efficiently. I will always stand with those who tell the truth.
    One day I will meet more people like you who are not afraid of the hard scrabble life and the hard truths that it will take to truly protect the Constitutional American way. Nothing easy was ever worth doing or having. See you on the flip-side, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine: I rarely speak of my struggles through life. I attempt to remain positive. However, truth cannot be denied by sticking one's head in the sand. That you are American motivates me.

      Delete
  4. I was very saddened by the news in Boston and my thoughts go out to all the family's involved. I agree with a lot of what you have said JJ and we have a lot of issues similar here. Life is very fragile and the world is a very scary place to be at times. But you have to make the best of what you create and live your life with peace in your heart. I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around and those people that do bad things to others will get what they deserve if not in this life but then the next one after. Take lots of care, dee ( I have started up another blog after a lot of thought be lovely to see you there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee: You are by far one of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure of conversing with. With you in the world, there is always hope. I will be on your site promptly.

      Delete
  5. JJ, These following words of yours are so lyrical and beautiful: "The United States of America was never about a place. It was never about the land. It was never about control or regulations. It was an idea."
    Powerful! And then you went on to describe life in the 1950s as I remember it....even as the little girl I was at that time. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky: Hopefully, there are still plenty of Americans of both political parties that put the idea of the United States before themselves, for the benefit of their children and grandchildren.

      Delete
  6. It's sad, but your words ring true. History shows that these violent acts have happened since the beginning of time. Human nature has not changed.
    I know not many will agree with me, but I know what our country once stood for and believed in. And it's still printed on our currency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex: Thank you. It is motivating to hear that I am not alone. I love my country, and that is not cool or popular.

      Delete
  7. Well said JJ. If we're lucky the rest of Pie-people will begin to believe this too. Oh, and as for chicken soup, it always makes things better, even if it's just a feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Gotta love chicken soup! That's all we have left.

      Delete
  8. I applaud you... WEll said. It sickens me to see how so much has changed since my childhood. Times were simple. Family, friends, caring, love. No fear to walk our streets. I was five and I walked five blocks alone to school. Today my parents would be arrested for child abuse.

    There is so much anger, hostility, and negativity today. LIke you, I do all I can to remain positive, BUT, I wish for the days of my childhood again. A simple color TV. No cable... Sitting for hours at the dining room table with my family, eating, laughing , ARGUING, it was part of life. Now families are so separated. Kids eat at all hours alone, always in their rooms.

    I could go on, but you know how i feel. We are most likely from the same generation. Taking back this country will be MONUMENTAL. I hope and prayer for the sake of the kids it does...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael: I am with you. Great memories of calmer times.

      Delete
  9. I am deeply saddened by the tragedy in Boston, and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. You are right that there is so much we can learn about safety and security from Israel. This was powerfully written JJ.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: Thank you. I agree we must learn more. We are all saddened.

      Delete
  10. What happened in Boston is horrendous! Only a coward and insane person could do it. I am sure he (she, or they) will be tracked and brought to justice, but what does justice mean in these circumstances? I know many people envy the USA, a land of freedom and progress, but these kind of coward actions have no forgiveness! I am not an American citizen but, when these tragic events happen, I feel like if I were. I deeply admire the USA and I hope the responsible for these horrible bombings will soon be caught and punished, although no punishment will compensate these dramatic events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanático_Um: Thank you, my friend. To paraphrase MLK, terrorism anywhere is terrorism everywhere. It is sad.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!