Rambling


Pad of Paper & Pen

The novel I wish I wrote: For whom the Bell Tolls.

My favorite song of all time: You Don’t Know Me by Ray Charles.

The most passionate singer of all time: Joe Cocker.

My personal hero: My father.

Had the voice I would love to have: Dean Martin.

The best rock group of all time: The Stones.

My favorite opera: Tristan and Isolde.

My favorite holiday: Thanksgiving.

Things I wish I had done in my life:

Historical figure I wish I had lunch with: George Washington.

Most haunting singing voice: Jim Morrison.

The most talented singer that never made it big: Melanie.

Biggest accomplishment in my life: Adoption of my youngest daughter.

My favorite historical work: Caesar’s Commentaries on the Gaelic Wars.

If I could have personally had a sports moment: George Foreman walking the boxing ring carrying the American flag after winning the Olympic heavyweight title in 1968.

Most memorable breakfast place: Newport, Rhode Island.

Most memorable lunch place: Madrid, Spain.

Most memorable dinner place: Milan, Italy.

Favorite Movies of all time: The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, The Mark of Zorro with Tyrone Power, The Outlaw Josey Wales with Clint Eastwood.

Favorite watering hole of all time: Ratskeller, Munich, Germany.

Most exciting sports moment of all time: The United States hockey victory (Miracle on Ice) during the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, New York.

My favorite sports role model moment:  The last professional baseball player to hit .400 for a season, Ted Williams was given the option to sit out the final doubleheader of the year to preserve his batting average for the record books. Williams responded that he would not deserve the .400 average if he sat out. He played and went 6 for 8, finishing the baseball season at .406.

My favorite artists of all time: Salvador Dali and Pablo Picasso.

My favorite philosophical work: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke.

My favorite color: Turquoise.

 

What about you?

. . .

Comments

  1. I agree with a bunch of these, especially George Forman, US Hockey and Ted Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh: They were great moments!

      Delete
  2. The Stones?? No no no...JJ, I had such high hopes for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer: Why? They are certainly not my role models for life, just my favorite sound for a rock band.

      Delete
    2. Just don't like Mick Jagger's voice. Kinda grates on me, like the lead singer for AC/DC or the most overrated singer of all time, Alanis Morrisette. :-)

      Delete
  3. Well JJ,

    You certainly are well traveled and educated. Something I see very little of these days, I am impressed with your variety of likes.

    For me, with so many memories, so many passions for art, history, literature, music, and places, that I could never choose. I am just thankful for the experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael: Choosing was not easy. I guess my choices were more spontaneous emotions, rather than well-thought out selections, but I feel very fortunate to have had a wide range of experiences.

      Delete
  4. You have traveled so much in your life and I think you still do. I wish I had traveled as much but I would want it behind me because I don't care to leave home anymore.
    Is Ted Williams still alive? Or was he alive 13 years ago? Reason, I think this ball player I'm going to mention was Ted Williams, but I could be wrong. Calvin saw all the BB games here, in Helena and I didn't always go, but this time I went. He was sitting talking to someone during the stretch. And this old but still attractive BB player came over to me and said he told my husband that he wanted to meet me. He sat down and we chatted and watched the rest of the game together, as Calvin stayed where he was. He gave me a big autographed picture.... (I didn't ask for it, I never do) but I think I tossed it when I was purging last summer. You can see what a fan I'm not. Wish I could remember his name for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manzie: Ted Williams died in 2002. He was my favorite player of all time, and it is very possible that Calvin met Ted before he died. Good memory.

      Delete
  5. Reading about your biggest accomplishment says more about you than anything else. Turquoise is also one of my favorite colors, and I always got a kick out of Dean Martin. It was also nice learning about your travel experiences.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. Dino was just smooth and mellow and great to listen to when one simply wants to relax.

      Delete
  6. So many moments that stand out and for each of us unique. That sports moment was truly amazing. So was Doug Flutie's Hail Mary pass that won the game.
    And for rock band, I have to go with Rush. Of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex: Absolutely! Of course, as a BC fan, that ranks up there with my all time favorites.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness... so surprising to see how many of these were exactly what I would have answered! And also how much we still don't know about you...
    Biggest accomplishment is the one that stands out for me as well and is still in progress, but yes it is along the same lines as yours- helping to raise my nephew. Nothing else I do will ever matter near as much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!