Happy Days Are Here Again!

happy


As you know, after a terrible two weeks during which time I had to deal with a myriad of personal issues, I almost had it with the blogging experience. On top of everything else, while I was knocking off some family problems one by one, I was inundated with inappropriate ads on my website. It was more than frustrating. I was unable to post anything to my blog without first reading the ads that appeared everywhere. In addition, I was actually prevented from using Blogger. While I blamed it on Blogger, it was clearly not their fault.

The culprit was a program called Solid Savings that is not exactly classified as a virus, so it is not picked up by computer security systems like Norton or McAfee. Instead, it is vicious browser adware attaching itself to downloads that you actually request. In my case, when I upgraded Internet Explorer, I was attacked.  The program was installed on my computer without my knowledge.

Solid Savings bundles itself with other legitimate programs, offering free upgrades. When people click the NEXT button during install wizard on programs they do want, they frequently miss options that offer this malware program. In other words, I downloaded it intentionally, thinking that it was offered by Internet Explorer during a legitimate download when it was not.

 This monster corrupts browser settings, replaces default search and home page URLs with http://SolidSavings.com or other websites of its own interest. Thereafter, unwanted ads by Solid Savings appear across all the legitimate websites consumers use, especially online shopping websites. Ultimately, it can steal your personal data besides showing spam ads.

In my case, I was unable to post anything or respond to blog posts I wished to read without first clicking on the ad. I never intentionally clicked an ad, but every time I tried to post or read anything connected with Blogger, a different ad would open.

But happy days are here again! It is very easy to remove. If you have Windows, which most of us do, simply go to the uninstall programs link on your computer and remove it. I didn’t think of that at first because I didn’t realize it qualified as a legitimate download. I was thinking virus all the way and could not get rid of it.

In any event, be careful. Browsers like Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome are updating, and we tend to download the latest versions. Be sure to read each option carefully before clicking the NEXT button during the download. I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am extremely careful about viruses and spam, yet it got me good.

Dante told us there were Nine Circles of Hell. The 9th circle was reserved for treachery by betrayers of special relationships, including the likes of Brutus, Cassius, Judas, and Satan himself. He forgot to include the moron who thought of Solid Savings.

 

. . .

Comments

  1. This is scary. Sorry for all your inconveniences. Computers used to be such a delight but now turned into a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manzie: Thanks. It worked. See Ames' response below!

      Delete
  2. JJ: Yontoo is another one!... After reading your post, I went to my programs and noticed Yontoo.. I Googled and nothing is good about it!. Glad you solved your problem!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep an eye out for Solid Savings. Fortunately I dumped IE two years ago in favor of Firefox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex: Just be careful because it attacks Firefox as well, which I also have. The solution works. See Ames' response below!

      Delete
  4. Excellent news! So glad you sorted this out.

    I noticed when I updated something recently that there was a ton of additional crap added on to my download. Instead of having you check the things you wanted, you have to uncheck what you don't want. I am sure that is how Solid Savings found you given your explanation.

    You are so right; you must be very careful when you download/update anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't need to publish this one... but I did want to let you know that I included you on the Thursday post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh JJ, I am so happy that this is over for you now. And thanks for sharing your knowledge so we can be spared from this hell.
    You certainly didn't deserve to deal with anything more lately... Again, I am so glad you're back and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. joeh: It worked. See Ames' response below!

      Delete
  8. I am glad to know about that and that you solved the problem. If that happened to me, I don't know how I would get rid of such a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info. I'd have been befuddled for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the update, JJ! It's good to know that things are back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia: It worked. See Ames' response below!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing this. I am having the same issues.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ames: I am so glad I found the solution.

      Delete
  12. It worked! No more inappropriately dressed Asian girls in my side bar. Yay! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ames: I could not be happier! Thanks for letting us know.

      Delete
  13. Good advice! I hate it when my computer gets hijacked by crap like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy to hear you got it all CLEARED UP, JJ....

    WE would have DEFINITELY MISSED YOU if you left the blogosphere!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael: Thank you very much! It was frustrating.

      Delete
  15. Sorry you had to go through all that. I'm glad that everything is okay now, and thanks for the warning. I agree with Michael that you would have been greatly missed JJ!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi JJ .. glad you seem to have sorted the problem - I always need someone to help me .. and tend to stay clear of anything and don't do anything myself .. as it just might trigger one of your solid things ... so pleased you've winged it into obscurity in your neck of the woods ..

    Cheers and thanks for the recent visit .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble