Honoring American Heroes

Patton's Army


Inspired by a post from Red Shoes Chronicles, I also decided to honor those brave Americans from D-Day responsible for the freedom we enjoy today.

My father was in the second wave at Omaha Beach and survived. I’m not sure how. He had already served in combat under General Omar Bradley (whom he loved), went to Europe because of the D-Day Invasion, and was then assigned to General George S. Patton’s 3rd Army that invaded Northern France and Germany, where he fought in the Battle of the Bulge.

Like so many other heroes of that era, my dad was a mild-mannered guy who simply performed his duty, and never spoke much about it.  Those soldiers were real Americans, who believed in the ideals of our Founding Fathers.

I am deeply proud of “The Greatest Generation,” and I sometimes get sad when I think about what we have done with the freedom so many died to preserve. Nevertheless, I never fail to honor their memory whenever I can, and I thank Red Shoes for reminding me.

By the way, the handsome guy in the tank above is my dad. God Bless America.

 

. . .

Comments

  1. How very perfect to post a great action photo of your father. Very nice. I also want to wish you a Happy Father's Day and may it be filled with love and family fun and doggie kisses too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father-in-law served proudly as a ball turret gunner -- which means he was responsible for defense of his plane. His gun was meant to deter enemy attacks on his plane.

    Also, as an Italian-American stationed in Italy, he was expected to translate in numerous situations -- including for scared teenage Italian soldiers who surrendered to the American army because they heard we treated our prisoners better than their army treated their soldiers.

    I hope we still have that kind of reputation in the world. I'm not always sure that we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne: I agree that our reputation has changed. However, if we continue to honor those who got it right, we just might regain the stature we lost.

      Delete
  3. This was a lovely way to honor your father. It is very easy to see from whom you got your Love of Country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: Thank you. He was an inspiration.

      Delete
  4. It is shocking to think that we went from the generation that fought WWII to the generation that got high at Woodstock, embraced communism, and began burning our country to the ground, leading us to the mess we are in today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An incredible photograph. How proud you are! Lovely tribute to your dad. Lovely tribute to the brave lads that fought in the last popular war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Thank you. I am proud. I do believe that war is an absurd method of resolving human disputes, but unfortunately, WWII was necessary for self-preservation.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful tribute. Thank you. Most of our WWII vets are gone, now, so it's up to US to remember. (Great pic of your dad, too.)

    If you haven't already read Brokaw's two books about the Greatest Generation, I recommend them highly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: Thank you! Yes, I have read both books.

      Delete
  7. A beautiful tribute to your father. Have a peaceful Father's Day, JJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia: Thank you so very much!

      Delete
  8. Great pic of your dad. My grandfather was in the navy, his ship called away from Pearl Harbor at the last minute. It amazes me to think what would have happened if he was there. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice. Always good to honor our elders and those who served. You are right to be so proud of your Dad.
    I spend D-day at the memorial of a friend and I loved seeing so many out putting flags on graves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a touching tribute to your dad, and you chose the perfect photo. He was truly a humble hero who helped make the world safer for generations to come.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble