What a Great Place to Stay, Right?

asthma


Last Thursday was my anniversary, a day which to me is always like a honeymoon. My wife and I have enjoyed many celebratory trips over the years, some of which were particularly memorable. This week, we carved another memory.

I remember the best of our anniversary trips. I’m not much for presents or flowers because they become like obligations and quickly lose their meaning the longer you are married. I make up for it by taking my bride on a special trip each year. One of our most memorable was to Florence, Italy. Another was Bermuda. This year, my wife wanted to stay close to home because of a family obligation we have coming up next week. She picked beautiful Fernandina Beach, Florida.

Now, how bad could it be? We had a magnificent suite on the top floor of a hotel right on the ocean. We planned a fabulous dinner at a Spanish/Portuguese restaurant in town. What a great place to stay, right?

When you travel a great deal, one would expect a few snags here and there. We once booked a cruise where a man fell overboard and we spent three days in search and rescue, missing two ports of call. We flew to a top-notch resort in the Caribbean, booked by a travel agent, only to discover as we landed that they had not yet finished building it. I was even bitten by a wild dog on while we were dancing in St. Martin! Little things like that don’t bother us. We still had great times.

This time, all appeared to be just perfect. However, if you are familiar with Murphy and his law, you grow to expect a few snags. We arrived early for check-in because I wanted to get some fishing done before we hit the town. The clerk told us that our room would not be ready for five hours, but she had an identical room available immediately on a different floor. We took it.

Indeed, the room was beautiful. After dropping off our bags, we hit the town. If you are old enough, you might say we were ready to trip the light fantastic. And we did. We stayed out half the night like a couple of teens after the prom. When we awoke in the morning, I was sick to say the least. I thought I needed some air, so we went to a great place for breakfast, and the day turned out quite well. But that night, things turned a little worse. I could not catch my breath. I imagined what an asthma attack would be like, but I don’t have asthma. I stayed up the entire night convincing my wife that I did not require hospitalization. In reality, I thought I would just skip all the medical tests and head peacefully for the grave.

By at 6:00 am, we checked out and headed for home. While we were at the front desk waiting to cancel part of our reservation commitment, we discovered the problem. We did not know that the room we had agreed to move to was in a section of the pet-friendly wing of the hotel. I am allergic to cats, and those beautiful accommodations represented a feline zoo to me.

I suppose we will just have to stay married so we can enjoy many more anniversary trips, hopefully while building more favorable memories. I can handle search and rescue operations, dog bites, and non-existent hotels. Yet, I do enjoy breathing. I am funny that way.

. . .

Comments

  1. I am glad that you had some fun before it all went downhill. Sorry that I didn't get to meet up with you and your bride for lunch. We will try to meet someplace soon, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: Definitely, God willing and the creeks don't rise.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations JJ for your anniversary. I hope the portuguese food, very different (and much better) from the spanish food will keep on being one of your choices. If it is really portuguese and fish, you will not regret it. And, once again, an interesting (and funny) text. All the best for you and your family! Greetings from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanático_Um: Thank you. Portuguese food is one of my favorites. The fish is superb!

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, what an unusual (but often more the norm these days!) I've seen this in a few places. They really need to post it all over, since there are so many folks these days with that issue. Guess you'll never be able to visit my lovely home (we have to cats, living with us and our doggies) and oh yeah, this has been quite the issue, even with my daughter-in-law! Happy you got half a good celebration throughout your anniversary treat! May you have many more fantastic-well aired dates ahead together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Dogs are fine, but cats put me under, although I love 'em and have had several in the past (thus, the allergy). It looks like we'll have to out for dinner.

      Delete
  4. I hope you and your bride had a wonderful anniversary, in spite of the pesky little breathing problem. It'd be nice to have a "perfect" trip, but it's the snafus that make for much more interesting story-telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: Yes, thank you. We had a wonderful anniversary. I would have enjoyed writing another story, however.

      Delete
  5. Oh JJ, I can certainly feel for you. I am mildly asthmatic and very allergic to cats.
    Who would have guessed? I know many hotels to be dog friendly but was unaware of the welcoming of cats. Will make mental note for the future on this one!
    I do have to say though that my allergy to cats keeps me from visiting for more than a couple of hours at my mother-in-laws house and of course I can't stay the night there- and I have to admit this has IMPROVED our relationship just fine. Mother-in-law is great in small doses!
    Keep up the adventures and the lovely stories of how well you and your wife manage life together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine: It sounds like you, your mother-in-law, and cats (that tend to disagree often) go hand-in-hand.

      Delete
  6. That's a new one to me. Snags are almost anticipated when one travels. And yes, there are smoking rooms for those still on those coffin nails but I've never run into rooms for cat and dog lovers. I am very allergic to cats. One more question to add to our list. I'm glad you survived. That could have been really serious. I hope your trip was compimentary? I'm surprised you didn't tell us the hotel. Happy Anniversary JJ--pass it on to the Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: Thanks for the well-wishes. I did not mention the hotel because it advertised "pet-friendly," so I figured it was my fault. Live and learn.

      Delete
  7. Hi JJ - congratulations on your anniversary - and that's a fun way to celebrate each year .. oh dear .. we don't think to check everything do we - you think they might mention the pet aspect ..

    All I can say is I'm glad you're recovered .. and that I hope your family obligation was accomplished happily - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary: Thank you so much! We had a wonderful time. It took a few days, but I am back to normal.

      Delete
  8. oh my gosh, you've experienced a few adventures in your travels. I've travelled quite extensively, but never to a non-existent place. I have been to places that took my breath away, but perhaps it wasn't quite the same as what you experienced ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated anniversary to you both. It's great that you always celebrate in romantic destinations. Sorry that the cats made you so sick at the hotel. It must have been a pretty frightening experience.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble