Why Intelligent People Are Frustrated

control

Deaf people often struggle in life. My wife spent a few years teaching college classes at a facility for the hearing impaired and shared with me many of the difficulties students encountered. I learned from the deaf students I had an opportunity to teach in a physical classroom setting that simple accommodations like facing the class when I spoke helped the lip readers tremendously.

Absent personal exposure, I would think most Americans really never get to appreciate the full impact of hearing loss suffered by many of our citizens. However, I am guessing that once enlightened, most of us would be more than willing to allow for reasonable accommodations.

In 2005, a government study revealed virtually no affordable housing for deaf or deaf-blind senior citizens in the United States. I would hope that most Americans would favor doing something to remedy that situation.

Now, we know all about our government's issues with the State of Arizona and immigration laws, but that is political ideological squabbling, having nothing at all to do with the hearing-impaired. Government and the people do work together. For example, Arizona took the federal study on the deaf to heart. In 2008, the state received the approval from HUD to construct an apartment complex "designed for seniors who are deaf, hard of hearing and deaf blind." In fact, HUD helped to finance the project, and the complex is currently 90% occupied by deaf and deaf-blind senior citizens.

Personally, I think it is a wonderful use of taxpayer dollars. The residents are now safer with flashing lights to warn of fires, video phones, and visual markings to alert the hearing impaired when necessary. One resident stated, "It's nice to have a life that's equivalent to other people that are not deaf." A great government success story, right? Wrong.

HUD has announced that Arizona is in violation of the law because the complex shows a preference for the hearing-impaired. According to the HUD memo, "A preference or priority based on a particular diagnosis or disability and excluding others with different disabilities is explicitly prohibited by HUD's Section 504 regulations." The government is threatening to cancel all federal housing funding to Arizona, unless the complex severely limits the number of deaf residents.

I would be happy if this were the saddest story of government control over the lives of its citizens, but we all know it is not. On paper dating back to Rousseau, a theoretical free liberal government set up to protect the people is a brilliant human innovation. However, when Big Brother sends out regulators to measure our soft drinks and examine our burgers, that protection begins to crumble. With all the federal laws passed to protect citizens with disabilities, it is hard to believe that running the risk of hearing-impaired Americans being injured or dying because of insufficient housing availability in the United States is acceptable. They appear to be collateral damage of Big Government.

We need some federal regulation to protect those among us who need it. However, in my humble opinion, we have thousands of federal regulators who should goose-step their way to the nearest library to research human history.

. . .

Comments

  1. If there is a library still open for them. But that's a story for another day. How does one fix such a sad, belittling act by HUD? We aren't limited to just HUD for real life tragedies either. We all are being faced with that one phrase which boils my blood. Political Correctness. Didn't it PC, really begin in a joke, or a cartoon? While some once kind and goodhearted group of human beings first thought (hey this will) protect one's rights, correct? Wrong. Like you know no praying in school, (among a long list of no's for schools) it's not a Halloween Party, it's a Harvest Party. Band all Barbie dolls that say, "Math is tough." I know, don't get us all started, with the simplest of trivial matters. More and more throughout my walk of this grand life (as best we know it) I'm sickened when I have an intelligent conversation with anyone, even strangers, like the exchange I had leaving the Renaissance Festival this year and commenting on missing the humorous theatrical quotes, and comments we used to hear. Oh, they're all gone because they weren't politically correct! I believe if you find something offensive or not PC Don't Go There! Or, why not turn the other cheek? The downward spiral of those folks (parties or organizations) believing that they are protecting the better good, need to be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: I long for intelligent conversation as well, and I thank you for always providing it. You are so right. PC is a culture killer! Someone corrected me last week because I asked my daughter to hand a letter to the mailman. He was a MAN! I am well aware that women can handle the job with equal competence, but I can still tell the difference between the genders. God help us all!

      Delete
    2. God help us all for sure! :)

      Delete
  2. Simple answer for HUD- support and address all the other various disabilities out there as well, if they are in need. Possibly those other folks with disabilities already have programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: I think you are right on both counts.

      Delete
  3. Well that is one "Headline" in my Sunday "Stupid Headlines" post that no one will think is fake!

    If only we could legalize common sense in Government sadly I doubt that will ever happen.
    Unbelievable, but unfortunately true story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh: "Common sense." That is the answer!

      Delete
  4. We need Federal laws to protect us from the Federal Government...

    AUGH!!!!!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is more horrible commentary on over-regulation. This makes me so angry that I cannot even think of a reasonable comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: You know I agree. However, we must have a rational, respectful, intelligent exchange of ideas for this nation to move forward. That is why I throw these topics in now and then.

      Delete
  6. It saddens me to learn of these things, and it's an understatement to say our nations priorities are highly misguided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda: I could not agree more.

      Delete
  7. I think the mark of a civilised society is the way it looks after its weakest members. I'm not feeling at all happy with the way things are going in Britain at the moment in this regard. Like in the US it seems that there are too many people here who are paid to spend their lives trying to enforce pointless regulations, and the money spent on them is being wasted when it could be used productively. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton said it best. [A]bsolute power corrupts absolutely.

      Delete
  8. It's a worry what we do to ourselves and each other. We can't see the trees for the forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda: At least we have a right to do it to ourselves!

      Delete
  9. Wasted resources drive me nuts, especially when there are plenty of needs to spend resources on. I'm so frustrated that I don't even know what to say anymore.
    I've been told I'm intelligent. I guess that means I'm bound to be frustrated. Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine: Don't worry. The fools who brought us to this point will soon be frustrated too. Then watch the rats desert the ship!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!