Where is Renfield When We Need Him?

lyubov orlova


The ship pictured above is the Lyubov Orlova, a 1970s expedition ship built in the former Yugoslavia for a Soviet shipping company. After running aground in Antarctica about eight years ago, she was docked in Newfoundland when substantial debts were incurred in connection with the ship and was later sold. The vessel was in the process of being towed by tug to the Dominican Republic to be scraped for its metal.

On the face of it, this story does not seem very exciting. However, circumstances changed quickly. A day or so after leaving the dock in Newfoundland, the tow line broke loose and due to high winds could not be reattached by the tugboat crew. Eventually, an offshore supply vessel re-gained control of the ship, but once in international waters and beyond Canadian jurisdiction, she was once again cut loose and set adrift as a ghost ship, having posed no danger, especially to oil and gas rigs.

Thereafter, the story remained somewhat uninteresting – that is until recently. The winds have now shifted and the abandoned vessel appears to be drifting in the north Atlantic toward the United Kingdom. Now, here is the eerie part. Aboard the Lyubov Orlova lives a horde of giant cannibal rats. Since the edible material and food on the vessel had been consumed, the rats, a species capable of reproduction every three weeks until literally millions can be born in less than two years, has turned to eating one another.

I have no idea as to whether there is a plan to solve this almost science-fiction dilemma, but I would venture a guess that the U.K. does not need this vessel crashing upon its shores. Stay tuned.

. . .

Comments

  1. Heehehehe heehehehe (very bad Renfield imitation.)

    Me thinks they should do some target practice and sink that bugger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be the makings of a science fiction flick where the giant salt water rodents begin devouring the Great White sharks and then set their sights on Tokyo.

      Delete
  2. Is there a natural predator that could be dropped on the boat? Maybe snakes? Birds of prey? Of course I wouldn't want the snakes coming ashore either. D-con by the pound would probably get the environmentalists upset. I sure would be thinking of something. It is an interesting scenario for sure. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rats give me the heebie jeebies. I agree with joeh about the target practice. Instead of sinking that ship, though, someone needs to set it on fire. As you say, we don't want those rats to somehow develop gills and to begin eating marine life. This story is creepy enough already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll try my hand at science fiction some day, but what is really creepy is that this is nonfiction.

      Delete
  4. Uh, yikes. Cannibal rats? This sounds like the beginning of a MG series- featuring a non-cannibal rat who feels so out of place, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blow the sucker up! Maybe you should get into screenplay writing, JJ, that sounds like a good idea for a science fiction movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Horrifying situation. I say, nuke 'em! Here's a job for a drone. It's time that ship went down to Davey Jone's locker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rats! Yuck! I read the article on this, and it mentioned there were a lot of ghostships that were set adrift. Interesting to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rats! Yuck! I was reading an article on this, and they mentioned several ghostships that are out there. Eerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The ghostships got me thinking too.

      Delete
  9. Now this is one FREAKISHLY interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give a science fiction tale a go.

      Delete
  10. There's nothing better than a good old fashioned cannibal rats story at bedtime. I think Robin's solution makes sense. I hope Part II has a happy ending, though I'm probably being overly optimistic. I will stay tuned..,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Jennifer Lopez would like me to send her the screenplay.

      Delete
  11. Hi JJ .. well that was interesting .. I gather, I'm very glad to say, that the rumours of the rats are debunked .. and I gather one of the beacon signals activated by water .. became activated about a year ago .. so they think it's probably sunk. However I'm glad Ireland is between me and it!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. ew. I hope Hilary is correct. And I agree with the fire solution, if they get too close to land, bbq the lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are due to arrive on St. Patrick's Day. That I made up.

      Delete
  13. I saw that story on the news......pretty creepy - reminds me of a fairy tale...but I am not sure which one - truth is sure more eerie than fiction, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!