On Valentine’s Day, I Might Be Cupid Himself


heart


I am just not a mushy kind of guy. Women, on the other hand, love Valentine’s Day. Since football season is over, I figured I would come up with a plan this year.

My plan went into effect earlier this week when my daughter reminded me that I should be out searching for the perfect gift for my sweetheart. I found a huge dog bone at the pet shop and had it gift wrapped. Then, I looked for something for my wife. Unable to find anything, and willing to save her the time and trouble of returning my selection anyway, I immediately launched plan B.

I asked my wife if there was any special place she would like to go to celebrate. Now, she is not the phony celebration type, but she likes romance. She opted to travel around our county looking for some new things to experience. First, we hit a huge farmer’s market. How she could spend an hour there is beyond me. I would just grab the tomatoes and avocados and bolt. Yet, it was V-Day, so I followed along like a pack mule, carrying bags of fruits and vegetables, hoping my hernia would not act up.

Next, we went to a state park to hear a Bluegrass Jam. I can sit through Bluegrass quite well, but I didn’t realize what a “Jam” meant. I thought I would be enjoying talent in the tradition of Earl Scruggs, Dolly Parton, and the Dillards. Instead, it was all local talent, mostly octogenarians, who I suppose took the trip to the big city for the festivities. The crowd was pleasant, my wife loved it, and the weather was great. I got to sit behind the guy who played the spoons off key.

We soon wandered through a Nature walk, during which my wife smiled and expressed how relaxing and enjoyable the day had been so far. I agreed, but couldn’t get the sound of the spoons out of my head. We sat on a bench along an inlet, watching pelicans dive for food. My wife held my arm, told me the scene was absolutely perfect, and wanted to stay for a while to take in the sun and scenery. She reminisced a lot about life, as I sat quietly trying to see if I could learn a new fishing technique from the pelicans before the spring season began.

Valentine’s Day would be nothing without a romantic dinner, so after the Jam, I headed for a small seafood restaurant, off the beaten path, close to the ocean. I must admit the food was great. My wife went bonkers over it and couldn’t thank me enough for planning a great dining experience to celebrate the day. I felt blessed, mostly because I saw the sign that read “Fresh Fish. Turn Right.”

By the time we returned home, my girl was so happy one would have thought I put Sir Walter Raleigh to shame. In any event, she was thrilled and referred to the day as one of the best ever. I told her I also thought it was a great day and asked her if there had been anything else on her Valentine list. She said she could only think of one thing. So I drove to Home Depot and bought a toilet repair kit and spent two hours fixing the flow valve so the water would stop running. She told me she was proud of me and loved me because I was me.

I still don’t know what she meant, but I think all I need now is a sword, a horse, and a suit of armor.

. . .

Comments

  1. A full day with no complaining...every ladies dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She loves you man, and together the two of you celebrate Valentine's Day, or rather Heart day, every single day of the year. I know our four-legged friends love us just as deeply, but for them to be remembered is better than icing on a cake of love! You are cool JJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: One thing is certain. We really don't need a special day. We do "celebrate Valentine's Day, or rather Heart day, every single day of the year."

      Delete
  3. Loved this. So much better than your last post;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: Thank you. Someone has to be honest.

      Delete
  4. That is a truly wonderful Valentines' Day for the both of you~! LOL

    I would agree with Robin - much happier post than your usual, lately. LOL

    Ours was spent lazily at home...we made a huge seafood dinner for ourselves (lobster tails and risotto de mariscos, bottle of wine, bread!) and watched the movie "The Judge."

    Neither Andy nor I are much into Valentines' Day, each for our own reasons. So it was another wonderfully spent Saturday, much to our happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-M: I am happy you had a great V-Day. I agree with Robin as well. The craziness of the world sometimes interferes with my dedication to a life of fun!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful day... and very much like OURS! It isn't so much what you do, but who you do it with that makes anything... and everything... special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: Definitely. Those who are fortunate enough to have Valentine's Day every day understand that concept well. I am happy your was terrific as well.

      Delete
  6. It's lovely to know you had such a wonderful romantic day, JJ.
    We never cared about Valentine's day . Friendship to me is what matters the most in our relationship and this is something I am grateful for.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia: We have been friends since college - a long time ago. We found the answer so many seek.

      Delete
    2. Yes, JJ. My spouse is my best friend. I couldn't agree more with you! I love him the way he is.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

Mystery

Mystery

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!