The Disconnected Writer Returns!

Meet Guinness


Hello Friends. After a two-year eventful break from the blogging world, JJ is back.

It would take another two years to write about my adventures, good and bad, but I have the time. During my layoff, I lost a couple of my favorite canine companions. I mention them here briefly so as not to sour my mood. 

Bently was a male Rottweiler my wife and I rescued from the pound just in time. He had been an abused animal, but young enough to discover the love in his soul. While we shared our lives with many large dogs in the past, they were Labs and Goldens, which only know how to warm hearts. Unfortunately, Bentley's affection was limited to his family and he took offense to others inhabiting his planet. We did become close to him and he got his chance to enjoy a happy life. He passed at age 8, following six years with his human pack. RIP, my friend.

Lylah, a 110 lb. Golden Retriever, was the love of my life. Of the many dogs we raised over decades in New Hampshire, she was my favorite. A constant companion, my girl accompanied me everywhere. She stayed by my side for twelve years, from the day we selected her from a breeder until her death this past summer. I still miss her terribly.

Although I swore never to own another dog after Lylah's demise, my wife insisted on bringing Guinness (pictured above) into our lives, primarily to ease my pain. Believe me when I say I wanted no part of another pet. As much as dogs add to one's happiness in life, losing them is often too heartbreaking to repeat. Besides, Guinness is a female miniature Schnauzer, only 20 lbs., and the only small breed to ever share my life. Despite my resistance, it did not take her long to win me over. At only 9 months, this little gal has filled a giant void for me. No canine could ever "replace" my Lylah, but Guinness will form a strong bond with me that is sure to enhance my life. 

God, I love dogs so much. I never met one I didn't like. 

***

Comments

  1. Hey JJ!
    Sorry to hear about Bently and Lylah. Dogs have a special place in my heart and those who've come into my life have always been family. Looks like Guinness fits with yours just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

      Delete
  2. Hi JJ - good to see you back ... oh animals - they cram our hearts don't they ... it sounds like Guinness fits the bill perfectly and your wife made a good decision ... happy return to blogging ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. They sure do. Thank you very much. Cheers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Other Works by JJ Botta

My books are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and numerous Bookstores. Amazon.com AND Barnes and Noble

For Teachers

For Teachers

For Substitute Teachers

For Substitute Teachers

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!